When you go out, do you miss your child that you feel helpless when they are not around you?

kelzsp

Asked by kelzsp at 6:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Uh, no. lol. I felt that way for a bit the first time my DH and I went out without my first born, she was 2 months old, but it didn't last. Now my kids are almost 6 and 4 and when I get free time I enjoy it!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not helpless but I do feel out of sorts. One time we left the youngest with his grandma. I knew he was there, I'm the one who dropped him off and I still freaked when we were on the road. I turned around and asked SO where the baby was! I thought we forgot him at the store or something.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not at all. I love my children, I also love time away from them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I also used to feel a loss of not being around my DD, but my Mom was watching her while I worked, then I felt OK. Other than that I felt I needed to be at home until sahe was about 12, then I'd leave her while I litterally went across the street to the supermarket. I'd have my phone number right there and she would know to call me.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not at all because going out once in awhile makes me happier and in the long run a better parent
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes sometimes when I go out I miss my kids. But usually I just enjoy myself. I know I have good care for them while I am gone. I need to take care of me and have some me time to be completly useful to them.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't feel helpless, but I do feel a little bit down without having her around. But I know, that if I go out and get some 'me time' I'll be a better parent in the long run, because my patience will more than likely be restored, and I'll be happier.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• if i go to the grocery store without him it is weird. i have actually started talking to him (like he was sitting in the cart) when he wasnt at teh grocery store with me.... (weirdo! i know!( other than that... idk... if he sleeps over at my parents i miss him!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not helpless but odd. We don't go very many places without our kids, I mean they are our kids! So it is like something is missing!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 6:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Nope. I refuse to let myself dwell on it and to enjoy my limited time away from them. I think it's a bit unhealthy to be so wrapped up in your kids that you can't handle an hour or two away from them without feeling "helpless". What are you going to do when they are in school 6 hours a day? (those are the times I look forward to, can't wait for my last 2 to be in school)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011