food stamp regulation ..who is with me? EDIT ADDED

For those who have kids, it should be regulated more. They should not be allowed to buy as much crap as they want. Kids need healthy food to grow. I am not against PA but I do care about children and their health. I am not saying people on PA only eat junk but for those who do it's really sad for the kids. I am not a snob btw. I need wic and I will be getting food stamps eventually but I want it to go for food that is good for our family--not crap.

EDIT: I AM NOT AGAINST THEM BUYING JUNK BUT SAYING IT SHOULD BE REGULATED. BY junk I mean candy bars and such btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i agree completely - i work in a school that has 98% free lunches so most students get food stamps... it really bothers me that a parent can chose to buy beer, candy, crap .... with the money the state gives them for food. Here is my idea --- if you get food stamps -- -you wont like me (i am sorry but in a way this will also make your life easier too) why not just have the gov buy the food, and allocate who gets it and how much and how frequently... why are we just giving people money for food - why dont we give food that is bought at a discounted bulk rate... it would basicly eliminate most fraud... if there is no money to be had.. and we could also control what foods are bought.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have a real problem telling people who are on food stamps what they can and can't buy. There is no reason why they can't buy a bag of chips or something as a treat for their children, just as people do who are not on FS.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• im not a foodstamp recipient, but im on a tight budget myself. and you know, i still buy cookies, icecream, or chips when i go to the store. you do realize that everything is okay in moderation, right? why should less fortunate people (and especially their children) not have the priveledge to indulge once in a while, because taxpayers are so damn pretentious about where their money is going? really, get over it. even if they spend all their money on junkfood, or just a little bit every now & then, it's their life & their business.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• it shouldn't be regulated. unless we're going to start regulated EVERYONE'S grocery cart.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't agree with regulating. Would you want to be denied potato chips for your daughters first sleep over, or ice cream on a birthday. If these families are struggling (and I've been there) a fun meal helps.
    As for the taxpayers dollar. Foodstamp average throughout each state to only use around 1% of tax money. While 33% goes to National security (which is a very broad spectrum) and approx. 13% of taxes goes towards interest. Yes interest on outstanding government debts.

katey1211

Answer by katey1211 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• **regulating
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It would also save taxpayers money because there wouldn't be so many children with rotten teeth from all the junk, then getting free dental care because of it.. I could go on and on..

I'm not a foodstamp nazi, but no one said that children should be entitled to junk food, they should be taught to make good choices, and there are lots of fruits that can be made a treat etc.. Again JMO.

MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's nobodies business what people buy and how do you know when someone is using foodstamps anyway? it is not like iy used to be where they were paper and each food stamp coupon had to be stamped
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I understand what you're saying and I wish people would feed their children healthy food BUT healthy food is really expensive . With limited income you can buy a lot of unhealthy food and be full, or a little bit of healthy food and still be hungry. Plus not everyone knows how to eat nutritious food, which is very sad but it's true.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I dont think it should be regulated. It is up to the person to make the choices they want with it. If they buy all the junk in the world and cant feel their family then its there problem. Its up to the person to make the choice that is right for THEM. Not something I need to make my business....Im not bashing and I see where you are going with this. I just dont agree to the extent that you do
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011