Average Weight for a 16 month old?

I took my 16 month old to the doctor and her weight was 23lbs 11oz, she was 32ins long. Her doctor told me that i wasn't not feeding her like i should. I couldn't beleive she said that to me. My daughter had been sick and wasn't eatting &doctor knew that i couldn't get her to eat. The doctor asked me what she eats and drinks and i told her she gets a cup of milk and cereal in the morning at lunch and supper she gets juice and whatever we have. Sometimes she doesn't want it so i will get her something else. Her doctor told me that she needs caloires. NOT to give her milk, juice, cereal or fruit chews which she loves fruit chews. That i should only give her fruits and water. How will my daughter get calories from water? So my question is what is the average weight for a 16 month old? Or is my doctor just crazy?

Thumper82

Asked by Thumper82 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If I'm not mistaken, my DD was 23lbs at 16 months as well. She is tall and skinny. She gets 1 or 2 glasses of 2% milk a day and 1 glass of juice and the rest of the time, she gets water. She eats breakfast at school ,but they normally have cereal, waffles, sausage, etc and sandwiches or chicken or something like that for lunch and usually whatever we have or leftovers for dinner. I dont see much of a difference in what your DD eats daily.... I dont feel the need for DD to "Bulk Up" I think your DD is on the right track and your DR may be craxy... maybe you should get a 2nd opinion? Has your Dr always been this way?
    Kelly_n_Payton

Answer by Kelly_n_Payton at 10:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my daughter is 14 months and she is 23lbs so maybe like a pound or two more i think your doc is crazy i would let her eat what she wants it sounds like you have a good routin for her already maybe just throw a few extra things a lil higher in calories.
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i wouldn't worry. my dd is 16 mo and weighes 20 lbs and is only 29 in. her iron was low lst tie she went in but i cant force feed her. i can try to feed her all day but if she's not hungry she won't eat. i don't think their is an average, every baby is different. her cousin who is 2 mo younger than her is 22 in and 23 lbs
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• as long as your daughter consistently sticks to her growth curve percentage she is fine! My oldest always stayed around the 5th percentile, my youngest the 10th percentile. So if this is the case with your child(stays with their growth curve) then I would find a new ped.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My eight mo old was 25 lbs, my 3 yr old is only 29 lbs. My kids for some reason are skiiny...
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my daughter is 16 month now, and weighs 21 lbs and is 32 in. her doctor said she is right where is is suppose to be! she also has twin cousins that are 19 months old, and one weighs 22lbs, the other like 23.5.
    FELISHA_kAYDE

Answer by FELISHA_kAYDE at 12:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ask your doctor to show you the percentile chart. My doc has always shown me on the chart where my child falls. I wouldn't say that your doc is crazy. Maybe you misunderstood exactly what the doc said or meant. They usually know what they are talking about better than you and I.
    mommamia973

Answer by mommamia973 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my dd is almost exactly the same size as yours, and my doc sais she is perfectly healthy
    mommy2alissa

Answer by mommy2alissa at 2:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My son is 22 pounds and i am worried about his weight too hope we both get some advice
    shimmeringmom

Answer by shimmeringmom at 4:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My son is 21 months old and is 35" and weighs 23lbs...he is underweight. He fell of his growing curve!However my daughter was 16 months & was 17lbs, but she was = in height/weight! My nephew is 9months & weighs 23lbs & 27" so he is bigger than what he should be. BUT AS LONG AS THEY ARE FOLLOWING THEIR CURVE THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY...so dont sweat it, , unless likemy son and fell off of her cuve, she is fine! If you want to talk about it feel free to message me! I wish I could solve this on my own!
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 4:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008