How to punish my child for not following directions and doing her homework like she used to.

Every day when my daughter comes home I give her a snack and then we do homework together. Lately she has been up bit more tired than usual and she has not been cooperative at all. I understand that she is sometimes tired after school, but that can't be a reason not to do her homework. I finding that when something is hard that she gives up easuly and starts to complain. That is something that I won't tolerate because giving up gets you nowhere and I want her to start good homework habits now so that later in her life she can be successful at studying.
How can I get her do her homework like she used to?

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I used to give my boys an hour break after school. They'd have a snack, maybe go outside & play, or watch a dvd, then they had to do their homework. I always try to give logical consequences for the things they do wrong & if they don't take care of their responsibilities, they lose a related privilege. My boys got 1 hour a day of video game time on school days. They lost their time if they didn't do their schoolwork. If you don't have time for schoolwork, you don't have time for video games, so I would pick something that is important to her & if she doesn't have time to do her schoolwork, then she doesn't have time for that.

I also have a dirty word rule "If you say something on mom's dirty word list, you clean something dirty." On my list in addition to the obvious dirty words are things like "I hate you" or "I can't do this", "it's too hard". Now, obviously, I use discretion when implementing this rule, by age & infraction
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Maybe she needs more sleep? What time does she go to bed and wake up? If its not that then you can maybe try homework after dinner when shes not so drained from getting right off the bus? Punishment, if necessary, is up to you. Is there something she enjoys that you can take away until she cooperates? GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• She usually goes to bed between 8-9pm, but lately it's been a little hectic and she went to bed a little later than I'd like. For a long time she was doing well and sometimes even if she's not that tired she complains and stops giving it her best effort. Like I said, she usually does great, but it's the complaining I could do without.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ohwrite, you are right, I didn't even think about the facd that she is tired from all the activities that she has done at school. I will give her an hour to unwind and relax a bit before I have her to do her homework, that way she isn't too tired to do it later. I'll try after dinner, that might work out better. Thanks.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011