Anyone know anything about TMJ?

I have been having jaw pain for about a week now. Its only on one side and it hurts really bad to open my mouth all the way. It almost feels like I have an ear infection because there is pain in my ear on that side as well. I feel like my jaw is tight and that it really WANTS to stay closed and opening it suddenly or really wide hurts so bad. I have heard that these are some symptoms of TMJ and was curious if anyone has had it or known someone who has and are these the symptoms. I would just go to the dentist, but I am waiting on my position at work to go permanent so I can get insurance... right now I dont have any medical or dental, but come January, unless SO can pull some strings at work, there is no way I will have it til at least then. Oh yeah, this happened for about 2 weeks nearly 3 months ago as well and it went away.

Kelly_n_Payton

Asked by Kelly_n_Payton at 10:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Health

• i just read an article about this in dec/oprah..it might be available on her website, if you don't get the mag. there was a small box about symtoms, and how to test yourself..of course, only a dr/dentist can tell you for sure.i don't know anything about tmj, sorry. i know its caused my sis a lot of trouble, and she now has braces to realign her teeth, in hopes of lessening the pain/burden on the jawline..
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If it is tmj, you can have a massage therapist perform an NMT (neuromuscular therapy) TMJ routine to help.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 12:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I've had TMJ for years. What you describe are some symptoms. Also jaw locking in one position. Suddenly closing your mouth and a loud POP with a searing pain. I wear a silicone nightguard every night. It's a pain, but it does help. I also never attempt to chew gum anymore. Learning relaxation techniques also helps me too. See your Dentist as soon as you can. Hopefully you caught it before it is too advanced.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well, I suffered for years with TMJ, decided not to have the surgeries. Then some years ago I started taking Nutritionals and it blows my mind to think I have no more issues.
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 7:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• IVE HAD THAT PAIN B4 AND IT WAS OTITIS EXTERNA.ITS EXTREMELY PAINFUL AND HAS THE SAME SYMPTOMS..I ALSO HAVE JAW ARTHRITIS AND ITS UNCOMFORTABLE AND A BIT TIGHT FEELING WHEN I CHEW OR EAT..IF U HAVE A FAMILY HISTORY OF EAR PROBLEMS PLEASE GO SE A PCP ITS DANGEROUS TO LEAVE THE PAIN TO ESCALATE!!EVEN IF IT COMES AND GOES ITS BEST TO HAVE DOCTOR DIAGNOSE IT PROPERLY
    zandalyz

Answer by zandalyz at 9:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008