For the Single Mom's out there (Edited)

Would you want your SO (one your have now or one not yet found) to addopt your child(ren)? would this be a deal breaker if he didn't want to adopt him/her?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I had a SO and knew he loved my son as his own yes I would,
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 6:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Nope, I'm looking for a partner for myself, not a father for my son. Of course I will want someone who can be a positive role model and have a great relationship with my son, but he already has a dad- a shitty one, but sill a dad.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• well i've been married 2x and both my kids fathers are still alive, so anyone in my life would prob not be able to adopt them, and my oldest 2 boys are 17 and 19 so thats moot. My daughter is 11, but I dont want anyone telling me how to raise her now so, I guess thats a no lol
    DJLadyK

Answer by DJLadyK at 7:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I WAS a single mom and no I did not want that. My kids have dads, for better or worse. I chose to have kids with my kids dad. I wanted someone I could grow old with, someone who loves me and my kids, someone who could be a good father figure to them, someone who knew his boundaries with my kids, and someone I could have more kids with if we chose to (and we did).

Answer by gemgem at 7:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Nope, I am not looking for a father for my child but someone for ME.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would love my fiance to but my dd's father wont' sign rights over (even though he doesn't bother with her much)
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks for all the answers, ladies! My situation is about my DD (DS has a dad that is involved). My DD has no father listed on her bc. Her "donor" (not-even-a-father) is not around and hasn't been since I was first pregnant. (Was difficult decision not to list him too- long thought out on both pros and cons of listing or not). So I wouldn't need to have anyone sign over rights for her to be adopted. Now this is not a decision that is immediate for me. This would be something down the line IF I would ever get married I would want her to have a real dad. And yea this may be a deal breaker for me (havent fully decided).
    MamaWolf1981

Comment by MamaWolf1981 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• When my SO and I get married I would like him to adopt my son. His real dad hasn't been involved for most of his life, and I think it would be very beneficial for my son to know my SO hand chose to be his dad, and make my son feel special. He's been through a lot with his biological dad and if my SO were against adopting him I'd probably find it a deal breaker. My son comes with the territory, so you can't take care of me and not my child. Luckily for me my SO has every intention of adopting my son once we're married so this isn't an issue.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2011