i promise i am not trolling or being racist or anything. this is just a serious question about names.

now the word ebony means black and is a very common name for black women. i find it a quite beautiful name actually. now the opposite of ebony is ivory. which i think is also very pretty but do you think it would be considered wrong to name a white child ivory? even though ebony is such a common name? i've never heard of or met anyone named ivory

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Baby Names

• I like Ivory ! It's a great name ! I don't think I'd associate it with race as much as I would like a china-doll...like fair skin as opposed to white race....

Buuut, If you don't feel comfortable with it, Ivy might be a consideration for you??? Although I do really like Ivory !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have met a little girl named Ivory. It fit her perfect too. I like the name and dont see the problem?

Answer by gemgem at 6:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have met a few Ivorys. I would not name my child that because it would remind me of the soap. I think Ivory and Ebony are beautiful.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Somewhere along the road of life you or your child are going to run into someone that doesn't like the name you chose, or make fun of it, or rhyme it with something. It doesn't matter if you name her something as plain as Jane or as interesting and beautiful as Ivory. People are just lame no matter what. Bottom line, it's a lovely name and your prerogative!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My daughter's name (Fiona) means white, and so does the boy's name (Alric) we'd picked out for her had she been a boy... There are a lot of names that, one way or another, mean white, or pale or fair.

Gordon means empty-headed... there's only so far caring what the name means (or meant once) can take you...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have a cousin named Ivory. I never even thought about it having anything to do with race, it's a pretty name.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i just figured people might think the wrong thing because it means white....even though ebony is so common and means black
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I like it. I never thought of it being race related.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm white and I wanted to name my dd Ebony, and the only person who had a problem with it was another white girl I worked with. In fact all the Black people thought it was so pretty. I don't think it matters what a name means there is no restriction on who can use it and who can't, and that is exactly what I told that girl. I also LOVE the name Simone, If this baby is a girl I would like to giver her that name.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• heard of the names, but never thought they were related with a particular race, lol
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 7:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011