Daughters Hair

My daughter is 4. She is mixed and her hair is just a mess. She has very soft hair but extremely curly. I've tried straightening it but that didn't work. It's just WAY too frizzy. The products I've used just don't work . She also has a sensitive scalp and certain products cause her to get dandruff. Do any of you mom's have any suggestions as to what I could put in her hair to tame it and keep it moisturized?

hazeleyezmama07

Asked by hazeleyezmama07 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• there are tons of creamy products for this type of hair, some are specifically marketed for children's hair. walmart/any discount store, or your local beauty supply should carry what you need. she doesn't need to wash everyday, prob only couple times a week unless she gets it really dirty/smelly. no brushing, just widetoothed comb/fingers to detangle. if her hair is thick like my niece's, you'll use a lot of the product. make sure you apply it all the way down the shaft, and then comb it through to distribute well. teach her to not mess with it while its drying; this only disturbs the curl and results in big, frizzy hair. my niece also uses a conditioner that she doesn't have to rinse out, before she applies the hair styling cream.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• oh yeah, good regular trims help keep the ends smoother, as well.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:05 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have very thick extremely curly hair and this works WONDERS!! First, curly hair is "thirsty" so I use the Herbal Essance moisturizing shampoo and conditioner ($5 ea @ wal-mart). Then, after leaving conditioner in for a full 5 minutes in the shower, I rinse thoroughly with cold water. When I get out of the shower, I immediately put Silk Drops ($4 @ wal-mart) in my hair working it in completely, then wrap up in a towel. I dress then unwrap hair and comb through with a wide tooth comb. Last, I take a nickle sized amount of Coconut oil (clear jar w/blue lid $1 @ walgreen's in the ethnic hair care section) and rub between my hands and work into my hair. It feels a little yucky before it dries - DO NOT BLOW DRY!! but the curls are NEVER frizzy!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have very frizzy and very curly hair. I use Treseme Shampoo and conditioner, then a leave in conditioner - Infusium (I buy generic from Sally's Beauty Supply), then when I style it I use TIGI BedHead Control Freak Serum, run it through wet hair and then blow dry. For an extra conditioner use a home made recipe once a week - a spoonful of mayonnaise, a spoonful of plain yogurt, a teaspoon of olive oil and an egg. Run it through the hair and leave it in for 15 minutes. I have not had a split end on my head since junior high, about 15 years ago.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My mom used John Friedas "Frizzeas" on my hair as a child and it seemed to keep my hair pretty well tamed
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Do you brush it after its dry? That is the biggest cause of the frizzies. Try to do her hair while it's still damp. Unless you're braiding it then it doesn't matter.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Nexxus and paul mitchell have really good products for this...just a little pricey :(
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 11:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My friend's daughter is also biracial and she uses Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil products on her hair and it comes out beautifully! Good luck!
    TMMommie78

Answer by TMMommie78 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2008