Expanding our dog family...maybe.

We have an 11 month old Golden Retriever...we love him to death, but my girls are now obsessed with Pomeranians and want a puppy. Anyone have one? How are they with families? Other dogs?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 7:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pets

• I love pomeranians! When i was little we used to have 3 of them & they were such great dogs.Very good family dogs & great with children. I do plan on getting another in the future but not right now as they can be quite pricey.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They are protective but,very tempermental so maybe for your family w/kids not a good idea
    GabsterMum

Answer by GabsterMum at 8:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My Mom had a Pomeranian for 15 years- They are Good Dogs but, they really stick with one person & are not that great with kids-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• When you start out with a young puppy, properly socialize it with your children and everything else under the sun, and take it to GOOD quality training classes...you can have a happy, friendly Pomeranian.

You also will need to be on the watch for and to nip any protective/guarding or attitude issues right in the bud when the dog is around 7-10 months old. However, if you lay the proper groundwork- that you are the head of the household and that the dog needs to be very comfortable with handling, you will be fine.

For the record, they do have a certain reputation, particularly with children. "Feisty" is putting it mildly for some of these dogs...but they haven't all been trained properly.

I have known several pomms who are fantastic and beautiful with all of the family members. The quality of breeder you go to and the work you do early WILL make the difference.

..And don't go to a pet store for this pup.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011