Can you sleep through your child screaming?

In another post, a mom said that many parents sleep straight through their child(ren) screaming for long periods at night. I have a monitor for both my 2 year old and my 6 month old next to my bed, so I can hear them when they even roll over. Even if the monitors were to run out of battery, I wake at the slightest noise within the house. I hear my 13 year old when he gets up in the middle of the night and his room is much further away than my little ones. I just can't imagine any parent, particularly a mom, would be able to sleep through their child crying.

Asked by missanc at 7:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• i wake up, but now that the youngest is 14mos, i really know her cries, so if she is doing the "i dont want to sleep, even though its 2am and i am tired" cry i leave her but that cry will last 5 min tops, otherwise me or dh go get her especially after 5am cause that just means she is up for the day.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Nope. I am a sound sleeper but I wake up when I hear my 14 yr old. I used to wake up as he was having an asthma attack and vomitting all over his bed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I can sleep through a tornado. Not good. Thankfully I have my hubby. It scares me how deep I sleep.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not the baby because he sleeps next to my bed but I can't hear the other kids get up and that's on purpose. I run a fan at all times in my room to drown out the other noise in the house. I can't hear them unless they are right outside my door or are screaming at the top of their lungs (like this morning) but still, I have no idea how long that's been going on before they wake me up. They are older, though, so I don't get up with them in the morning. We don't have a baby monitor and the baby is going to be moving out of our room next month (in with his 9yo brother). He doesn't wake up at night, though and my son will be there if he wakes up in the morning. He likes to take care of the baby and will wake me if the baby needs me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• There was only one time I slept thru my daughters crying. She was a couple days old, I was post c-section and hadn't slept for 2 days and she woke up crying and I never heard her. Her father was pissed because he thought I was faking it and left the house. I woke up to no husband, and a crying baby, I was so confused. Other than that no, I hate laying her down when she cries. I always want to hold and comfort her.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 7:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• sometmes i sleep thru them crying at night, or sometimes i ignore them if i know its nothing major. mine love to fight sleep... and will do anything to try to get me in their room at night.
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No, I can't. I do know a woman that can and her husband gets up and brings the baby to her (she breastfeeds).
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Im the same way as you, missanc. I wake up to anything! Especially when it comes to my son, I wake up to him coughing, sneezing, talking in his sleep, rolling over! I couldn't imagine sleeping through him crying!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I always hear my DD, although I guess how can I honestly say I hear her right away since I am sleeping? In all honesty I have no idea how long she has been fussing, aside from the fact that she is rarely ever really wound up or seriosuly wailing when I hear her. But my DH does not hear her. I remember literally yelling his name and shaking him in the middle of the night in the hospital after she was born and he would not wake up despite she and I both being pretty hysterical. And at home I can get up in the night, DD will be crying, I spend half an hour changing and soothing and rocking her and all of this and DH has no idea any of it is going on. He has only ever slept with her once without me home, luckily he was staying with her at my Dad's otherwise I really would have worried that he wouldn't have heard her. He sleeps like the dead.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Never, but then we co-sleep. Honestly, I could never imagine sleeping through my child screaming or crying. I can hear my child cry over the tv, radio, my other noisy child lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011