Soda for infants

This may be more of a vent than a ?. I waitress at my family's restaurant and I waited on a family that ordered their 6mo baby coke! I didnt say anything but thought it was a little redic. Im not against soda...but at the proper age and in moderation. And for a baby to not know any better then why even do it? Is there a reason for it? Am I missing something. At first I was thinking...'Maybe this child has a disorder and desp needs the sugar and caffeine? ' What do you think?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• First of all, its GREAT that you considered the option that the baby had a disorder and needed this....most people just immediately bash the parents! So good for you, being open minded and thoughtful!

I however do not know of any disorder that they would need coke...but I am not a Dr. My two were not allowed to have drinks until they were 3...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I collect antiques, and this conversation reminded me of this (actual) ad. Thought you'd enjoy

katey1211

Answer by katey1211 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Ok I don't care if you co sleep, criib sleep, breastfeed, bottlefeed, spank or don't spank, democrat or republican, this is the one thig that I care about. Babies don't need soda. If she ordered a coke for the baby it was probably more than a taste. I watched a guy put pop in his baby's bottle. I was disgusted.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Soda in the baby's bottle....No, that's just wrong.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• That is terrible. I never heard of giving it to a 6 month old. What were they thinking?
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 7:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I never gave any of my babies soda, not until well, like right now, my littlest one is 17 monthes, and I let him try sprite from my straw. But for a baby to not know and just drink carbonated water like that, and it not upset his tummy? bluck...
    TheSagittarius

Answer by TheSagittarius at 7:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm almost 99% sure they only let their child have a taste of it, which is no big deal...I think you need to take a chill pill. My SO ordered fries and let our infant have a taste...so what? She's two years old and doesn't eat fries...

They actually put it in her bottle and gave it to her. Im the last to judge on parenting FYI
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Did the adults get drinks? Maybe they ordered the drink for themselves at the child prices. Otherwise it is ridiculous. Maybe the child is quite a bit older than they looked? I don't know I am at a loss.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They could have just ordered it for themselves... maybe or maybe not ?
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I must have been writing my comment as you wrote your follow up. Putting it in the bottle, just beyond me. That is crazy. Way to set the little one up for failure, weight wise, teeth wise and just all around health wise.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011