Decorating Ideas for 11 yo Girl?

My DD's bedroom has hardwood floors, pale green walls, and white woodwork. She'd like to have a mature theme (not princess, posters, etc.) She also has a white desk and chair.

I'm really at a loss - I was thinking maybe some vibrant accent colors? (She's a very outgoing girl) Any ideas?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 7:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i would do a grown-up girl's room with zebra or cheetah print with one or two color accents. you can mix and match different accents like pillows and curtains with an animal print to bring it together. then make some fun wall hangings together!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Whats her fav color? Id make her accent wall her fav color and do the rest neutral.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Does it have to be a theme? Are you wanting to paint the walls? If not, maybe a new comforter and some funky pillows. New curtains(or blinds with beaded curtains). Maybe pick one wall and make it a theme of her choice, sports, rock stars, fashion, etc... A hard wood floor really needs a new rug. I actually saw a funky faux sheepskin one at Samsclub the other day! New lamps are good too. Or paint the old ones. Metallic spray paint is a really cool thing. Also, what about stenciling a pattern up one of her walls with one of the accent colors? There's tons of ideas online for just about every price range. Just google teen/tween bedroom ideas!
    Trinkett1010

Answer by Trinkett1010 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't think a theme is needed. Have her pick out bedding and accessories in colors she really likes, and let it go at that. In another couple years, she'll probably start covering the walls with posters and stuff anyway.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think a big part of decorating for that age is making it her personal sanctuary. I would get a day bed that also functions as a sofa. Plenty of bookshelves for storage and find a couple really nice art piece that she likes. Even if they're just posters frame them to give the room a more mature feel. If there's room you could even try an arm chair.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She loves purples, pinks, greens - she really likes the room color as it is, it's a real soft light green.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No, doesn't have to be a theme at all, just "decorated" if that makes sense? I'd love to get everything and surprise her while she's at school. Funky is good! I may have to go check out that sheepskin rug, do you think it would be hard to keep clean?
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011