Is meaness and anger part of dementia?

Im asking because my mom has early stages of dementia, and she is very mean to me and my kids. Also, she thinks events have happened but they have not. Is that part of dementia too? I wrote a journal about it but Im sure I wont get any replies.

Kim370

Asked by Kim370 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Yes, it can be.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, it depends on the person.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes it can be...put yourself in her shoes for a min. she is confused and likely not able to do things like she did before and it makes her angry and upset.

My loving happy grandmother turned violent sometimes....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• YES YES YES!!! I did an internship with people suffering from Alzheimer's and they can get nasty mean. Verbally and physically. My grandma also has Alzheimer's and she is 5ft tall and punched a 6ft plus paramedic in the face and gave him a fat lip!!!

For good information, go to www.alzheimers association.com

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, it can be part of it particularly because of the frustraton thay are experiencing. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Every person is different, but unfortunately for some, yes... turning mean is happens. It is scary, and hard...but just remember how much you love them. And the events thing happens as well with most people who have dementia. They become very confused about reality and fiction and past and present.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• For some, it can be. My greatgrandmother had dementia and combined with a bad reaction to medication, she became so violent that the nurses strapped her to her bed. She apparently cut one nurse's arm open with her fingernails because she was convinced they were all demons who were trying to shove her into an outhouse toilet that was the gateway to Hell.

My grandmother shows some of the early signs of dementia, but she's always been vicious, so it's hard to tell if that's a symptom or just her personality.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yes very often it is
    hugs, hard to watch loved loved loss their mental abilities
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It definitely can be. It's a very unpleasant part of it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yes. my FIL has dementia and he is sooo mean to his wife its unreal. he had his birthday a month ago and he thinks his birthday is in June. anytime of the day whether it be 2 am or 10pm he will go into a panick thinking he has a drs appt or something
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2011