How do you choose what toys to part with?

My kids are terrible at cleaning their room. I guess they see mommy with issues cleaning and they think its okay to slack off. But their room needs to get cleaned again. The idea is to get rid of the toys that they don't play with and there will be less mess and more organization. But every time I asked them what stuff to get rid of...broken or otherwise, they can't seem to pick what to get rid of. I get the broken stuff or the happy meal toys, but what about the old toys? I thought about waiting till they're at school and just parting with things and see if they'll miss it or not, but at the same time, I'm trying to give them the push to clean their room themselves. So how do we select the toys to part with (aside from happy meal toys and broken toys...that's a given to toss)??

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 7:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• When I was younger after asking and asking me to do the same, my mother got tired and let me know from now on that she would ask me twice to clean my room, and if I didn't, everything on the floor went to the less fortunate. She did exactly that and I never missed the stuff I didn't want and learned (fast) to clean or lose my prized possessions. It taught me to give things I didn't need or want to those that did though.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 7:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• If you know the ones they like the most. Just start with the oldset,broken ones first. Tell them if you do not do it I will. Good to do it while they are at school.

Answer by louise2 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think you can tell them that things need to be sorted out and you will ask them twice. Then after that you will decide which ones will be donated to a good cause. Make sure they fully understand what you mean........even show them an example.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Basically I don't ask...
    If I am cleaning my grandson's room, there is no holds bar as to what is pitched ...
    If it's broken, it goes, if he has out grown it (he is 10 now) it's packed and later that
    evening he is given several choices, sell at annual family yard sale, donate to the local
    thrift store or give away on free cycle to a child who may not get as much as he...
    Then other items are sorted and put in their proper place and ea time I do his room
    we go thru this .... he does take really good care of his toys, so donating or giving them
    away or even selling them hasn't been an issue...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:30 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I asked a similar question this past. I ended up cleaning up the toys myself. I had him clean up the trash on the floor while I sorted out toys. I got rid of all the broken stuff and everything he does not play with. I kept what I knew to be special and what he plays with daily.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 7:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I started putting a few toys 'away in the closet. If my DS asks for something directly then I put it out, if not within a couple weeks/months I send whatever has been forgotten to a new home.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2011