Should she have to pay her estranged, abusive spouse any of her winnings?

Sorry if this is a repeat ques- but I'm a few days behind in the news- I just saw where a lady from Idaho who won half of the huge lotto jackpot may stand to lose some if it to her estranged, abusive husband. As a single mom, she could not afford the costs of divorce, but they have been living separate for several years. When he was told she won, he said, "Good, now I wont have to pay child support!" What a scumbag! I hope she can afford to pay some big dude to beat the crap out of him! And he doesnt deserve a dime! What do you think?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He doesn't deserve a dime of that money, but unfortunately because of the fact that he is still her legal husband he is entitled to half of her earnings. Honestly if I was her I would take it to court. There is no way in hell I would just fork the money over without a fight! Can you say Judge Judy!
    katie0505

Answer by katie0505 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Morally, no. Legally, yes. They are still legally married. She needs to get a good attorney and cut the scumbag a deal. Something like, I will give you X amount of money if you sign a document that you will not contest a divorce, sole custody and no or supervised visits and you won't have to pay child support, ever. In a way, bribe the scumbag to disappear.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I believe morally he doesn't deserve a dime, but I'm afraid legally he's entitled to half. I hope I'm wrong and I too hope she can afford a lawyer to find a loophole, but I know divorce/marriage laws are pretty black and white and leave little room for negotiations. But what a piece of dirt, I truly hope some lawyer finds the tiniest way out.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I really hope he doesnt get any of it!
    Glouii

Answer by Glouii at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• well if she didnt separate from him in any legal way he could be getting some of it since hes legally her husband. But she could try and fight it in court, have witnesses say since when they are "separated" with proof that she doenst live with him and hes paying child support. Hope that works out for her. But not guaranteed. She should get a good lawyer. If hes abusive maybe she has police record of that as well.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I guess this is why it took her a while to step forward to claim the winnings? By him paying child support, that shows the separation. There just may be a loophole here. I sure hope so.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Give him a settlement of about $10 million and go on your merry way. Make him sign a paper saying he'll leave you alone, divorce him, and never speak to him again.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Depends on state laws... She is also responsible, since she didn't leagally sperate/file for divorce from the abusive jack arse...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You said Spouse as in still married. He legally has a right to it. She needs to hurry up and start divorcing him.

Answer by louise2 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Legally, I'm afraid he'll get half, unfortunately. Morally he certainly doesn't seem to deserve any of it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011