• In the Spotlight:

I am making a wall hanging and .... (anyone who sews)

I used fusible web to put on the applique stem to my rose. If you sew can you please let me know if I still need to stitch around the appliques.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 7:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you don't stitch around it, chances are the edges of your appliqué will lift over time. Especially at the ends.

I would recommend stitching it down. You can do a close zig-zag over the the raw edge, so it has a satin stitched appearance; or just straight stitch near the raw edge, or if your machine has decorative stitches you like, use one of those.

Try a test swatch with scraps first. The stitching may turn out to be a beautiful embellishment. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You don't have to, but you should to give it a finished look. The fusible web will hold it on...especially on a wall hanging that doesn't require a lot of washing, so it depends on the look you're going for, and the finish you want.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thank you.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm with ss mom. i would stitch around it. it will last longer and look better.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 12:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011