My normally strong-willed sister is a moron when it comes to this guy- I dont get it!

My young sis just moved in w/ this lazy, moronic bum - he doesnt work, is verbally abusive, has actually laid his hands on her & has cheated on her. Why cant she see this guy is a loser?! I dont unerstand why ANYONE would stay w/ someone who abuses them. Cuz, you know if he did it once, he'll probably do it again. Will it take something horrible for her to see the light?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• i was strong willed too and my parents taught me not to EVER let a man lay his hands on me.. he raped me after i filled for divorce and to tell you the truth.. i am still to this day still a little scared of him.. but now i know he cant hurt me if i am not with him.. i have support... its up to her to get the help she needs.. but you can point her in the right direction.. GL
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I hope not. Talk to her and be there for her.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I suggest an intervention of some kind by family and friends. It's hard to see the forest for the trees when you're standing right in the middle.
    In high school psychology, I always felt a kind of disgust toward women who would stay in abusive relationships. Then, wouldn't you know it, I did it myself not two years later! Hindsight is 20/20, and I was an absolute moron. But when emotions are running the show, you can be really stupid and not realize it.
    Keep driving the point home. Keep telling her that there are better guys. Keep telling her exactly what abuse is, and point out that she's experiencing it. Keep telling her what kind of a great person she is, and what she really deserves. Hopefully, you'll get through.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 8:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• i dont know how to tell you to reach her.. the truth is.. my ex is spitting image of what you just described... he beat the shit out of me numerous times.. wouldnt work.. ALWAYS verbally abusive and even beat me when i was 8 months pregnant.. the truth is I KNEW HE WAS A LOSER but i honestly was too scared to leave him.. he always found me.. he would threaten to kill me if i left him and the next guy i was with he would kill.. i was too scared. i even married the guy like 2 weeks before my daughter was born...i always wish i had someone there to support me through it to get away and tell me that he couldnt hurt me if i just left.. THERE ARE GROUPS out there for that but i didnt know about them until last year.. my wake up call?? my daughter was born.. and he kept up the stupidity.. guess what???? it wasnt about me anymore it was about her.. i left him and the divorce was final before she was 4 months old.. GL find her a group
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011