Has anyone had a child, or have a child, with eustachian tube problems?

DD was complaining that she couldn't hear back in Dec. Thinking it was a severe ear infection, I panicked and took her to an after hours Ped. This doctor said it was a wax build-up and flushed the wax away. The ear drum was swollen and the doc. thought it was from the treatment. DD still complains that she cannot hear some things that I say, and sometimes her ear pops resulting in a acute sensitivity to noise ( I relate it to an airplane ride when you cannot hear, then your ear pops and everything sounds really loud). I took DD to Ped. 2 weeks ago and he said she has an abnormally small eustachian tube, and it is getting blocked with fluid. When it clears itself (the pop) DD can hear normally. He suggested a daily regimen of Claritin in the A.M., and Benadryl at night. Forever! I'm skeptical and refuse to drug up my kiddo for this. Anyone have any experience in this matter?

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Health

• Go and take her to a Peds ENT and have her checked. They will have better answers. They might add tubes to make her "tubes" bigger.
    Jillysmom

Answer by Jillysmom at 8:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks Jillys! I'm definately going to schedule an appointment with a specialist, but I was hoping someone on here had some advice based on their personal experience. Thanks again!
    kenzie07

Comment by kenzie07 (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Take her to an ENT. They can better advise you on treatment.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2011