In your opinion, what makes a displaced worker?

At work today I heard the statement, "Doesn't sound that you can considered yourself displaced if you got fired." Sad enough, I'm seeing too many business playing the lay off/fire game to avoid the layoff insurance.

I understood what the statement meant, but inside I wish I could just yell out,"Give the man the benefits anyway!"

I'm seeing so many unemployed trying to make sense of the new economy. I get frustrated by this because I'm not too far from the same. My place of work is cutting back, and so is my sister's place of work. We have families to take care of.

What do you feel about people in crisis trying to find their way back with little support?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was fired from my job and am considered a displaced worker. I am getting my tuition and books paid for from a Dislocated Worker program in my state.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• In my opinion a displaced worker is someone who has lost their job. That could mean they got fired or laid off.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 7:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• In MO they told me that getting laid off doesn't count you as dislocated worker unless they laid off everyone bc they are moving the company overseas. I still got benefits bc I was laid off but I didn't automatically qualify for the tuition and books part of it. I could have tried and waited for more money but I wanted to go to school immediately, so they cut my benefits bc I enrolled full time in school.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's the politically correct word for fired or laid off
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2011