Has anyone taken meds while pregnant to treat depression?

I have a history (and family) with depression. I was taking Paxil, but stopped taking it in July when we decided to try for another baby. I got pregnant in August and now 23 weeks. I am desperate to be back on my meds. I have lost 15lbs since start of pregnancy. I feel like no one loves me, and everyone wants to hurt me. I cry every day (no joke) And I havent wanted to be intimate with my husband since I got pregnant. It's destroying my marriage and my mothering ability. I know paxil has been linked to birth defects, so that's why I stopped before I got pregnant. But is there something else that is safe? I have an appointment with my Dr. on Friday to discuss it, but I am so anxious. And I am scared to death that my Dr. will tell me I have to wait to have my baby. I just dont think I can make it that long.

busywithbabies

Asked by busywithbabies at 7:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am on anti depressants. Talk to your OB. There are some safer depression meds out there for pregnancy and breastfeeding. If you feel you need them get on them before you have the baby and become at risk for post partum depression as well.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 7:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Oh btw, I am 21 weeks prego. Was on them for my entire last pregnancy as well and breastfed new baby too.
    elffyefli

• My OB told me that I have to see my PCP to get the medicine. He wont help me with it, so I had to make another appointment to see the family Dr.
    busywithbabies

Comment by busywithbabies (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thats what I would do then. Lemme know how it goes. Good Luck!
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 5:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011