3 yr potty training

My son is 3 1/2 years old and still having alot of trouble potty training. He'll pee on the potty pretty easily, but he absolutely refuses to poop on the potty. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

miya07

Asked by miya07 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried some big reward? His own little potty in case he is afraid of the big one? Some of those cute books out there about it?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I potty trained mine with StarBurst candy and lollipops!!! Oh, and added it to the chore board to earn magnets they can turn in for money!!!

MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We have a little potty, we have tried a coin (nickel or dime) when pee's in the potty and even whole dollar when he poops on the potty, we did a sticker book or extra few moments of a favorite cartoon or a piece of candy, i'll read his favorite book to him while he's on the potty or sit there with him and still nothing. I try not to do the diaper thing but he goes to daycare during the day so it's really hard besause their not going to keep cleaning up dirty underwear and sometimes if I don't put him in a pull up he wont poop all weekend. It's really frustraiting and I don't know what else to do.
    miya07

Comment by miya07 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would offer a bigger reward. Something that you KNOW he would love. He gets something little for each time working up to the bigger item. Be patient. It will click one of these days.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We had the same problem, so I just stuck DD in panties and she figured out FAST that pooping in your panties feels nasty. Little extra wash for a week or two, but she stopped pooping in them.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 12:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I swear one day he will just do it. That is what our pedicatrician said to us when we told him about my 3 year old grandson who was pee trained for nine months, refusing to poop train. He got to the point he would hand us a diaper to put it on, to poop in, and then wanted to be changed right away. This was all summer long! Sometime in October he finally said yes to us when we asked him for the millionith time lets try the potty today for poop? And from that day on, he has done it. Now working on him wiping his own butt.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 6:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I so agree with MSugarKane ..........everyone thought my son was so slow in developing when in fact he was just being stubborn and just didnt want to potty at all............it just takes time...I mean my son still cries when putting on underwear cause he just doesnt want to wear them because he know he cant potty in them. So just be patient and dont let other parents bully you into feeling bad about it
    shorty2_02

Answer by shorty2_02 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thanks for all the great answers, really appriciate it.
    miya07

Comment by miya07 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Jan. 29, 2011