Soy Milk

We discovered that my son has a "milk protein intolerance" at 6wks old. He is almost 10 months now and the doctor wants to start experimenting with soy milk. I'm so nervous that he is going to get sick again that i'm hesitant to start switching formula and upsetting him. He was SO miserable before we picked up on his allergy..i just don't want to put him through that again.

Has anyone's babies had this before? If so when did it go away for them/if at all?

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 8:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to use soy milk for my dd. She was fine when we started her on that

Answer by admckenzie at 8:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My older son had a dairy protein intolerance. He outgrew it around age 2. We nursed pretty frequently up until then so I never used any substitute milk. You can get him everything he needs without substitute milk, though, I'd eliminate as many soy products from his diet as possible, personally.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My youngest was lactose intolerant, so he went from soy formula to regular soy milk and did just fine. If milk is bothering him, a switch to soy should give dramatic and quick results. Some people are also intolerant of soy protein, but that's very rare.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would skip milks, and just go to water

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son has the same problem and before we found out we had a hard time getting him to eat and when he did he puked it up he had runny stool and it was bad. So he is now on Similac Soy Isomil and it has been amazing he now eats great rarly spits up and has full stools, it also helped with gas and he sleeps all night
    MasonsMommy1229

Answer by MasonsMommy1229 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Instead of soy milk, I use almond or rice milk.
    starzine

Answer by starzine at 9:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2011