How can I get my daughter to calm down?

My daughter is 4 years old and usually around 5 pm she starts acting like a wild child. bouncing off the walls, laughing, saying silly things like "poop" and "butt", and won't listen to a thing I say and when I get on to her, she throws a big tantrum. i just dont understand. My mom thinks that she might have ADD or something. Is this normal and if so, what can I do to get her to calm down and listen?

KayleesMommy89

Asked by KayleesMommy89 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd make sure the environment is calm, no loud music, videos, movies, cartoons. Make sure she's not given sugary items for dinner (no soft drinks either).
    Anonymous

• What time does she get up in the morning? 5pm might be the magical hour she starts getting tired, and it comes off as acting goofy. For my son its about 7pm, and he gets downright defiant and mean. I make sure we are home by 7pm if at all possible, and at 7:30pm we start his bedtime routine (bedtime at 8:30) cause there's no reasoning with him at that point. He's 5, but he also gets up at 8am every morning for school, and doesn't nap.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Or go with the flow! Maybe this is the time of day she needs to burn off excess energy! Take her outside and play running games or if stuck inside put on music and dance with her. Tire the little one out!
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 5:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well I think you need to evaluate your daily schedule if this is so routine. Maybe she needs a longer or later nap time, maybe she needs to have a more active time of the day scheduled in and maybe she needs to have a planned quiet activity begin just before this time like a puzzle together. Also you might need to evaluate her diet, too many sugars or maybe just a certain sugar at a certain time are the culprit. I know my daughter got like this, we cut back on the sugars, made nap time later and bed time earlier and things got much better. Also scheduling some free crazy time earlier in the day worked wonders, usually outside. hope something works.
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 11:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2011