Should I ASK for the antibiotics? **UPDATE**

Ok so DH has been just a ball of tension since yesterday and he won't talk, finally I got it out of him tonight that he "KNOWS" what I told the doctor and he "KNOWS" that I was upbeat & said I wasn't as bad as I actually was. I told the doctor EXACTLY how i was feeling, I told her the last 2 days I was feeling "ok" until around 3 when I'd start to feel like death, that I can't breathe & I have a nasty cough. At the particular time when I told her, I wasn't feeling TOO bad. He's pissed because he thinks I told her I was a "little" sick and she didn't give me antibiotics because of that, and my demeanor. I'm not gonna ACT sicker than I am... I told her THE TRUTH. I don't want to get drugs I don't need. So, he's mad because I didn't get antibiotics and now DD is getting sick and he's saying if he gets sick he CANNOT miss any more work because he's freaked suddenly about money with all the doc bills coming in, new baby, etc...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Previous entry below:)

I'm one who NEVER - I mean NEVER gets sick. Here I am, 36 1/2 weeks pregnant, and yesterday I woke with a nasty cough (upper respiratory) and a stuffy nose. It gets better in the day but around 3pm or so I just CRASH and all I want to do is sleep and I get the chills, although every time I take my temp it says I don't have a fever. Well I took it tonight and it did say ONCE I had a fever of 99.4, but then I took it again immediately and it said 98.0, then again and it said 98.6. It's kind of an expensive one that is digital and you just hold it up to your temple for 5 seconds and it gives you an instant reading. It's the only one we have currently, besides the pacifier one we got for DD when she was a baby. OH I think I might have the digital ear one somewhere.... I better go look for that.

Anyway I had my 37 week appointment today with the OB and I mentioned my symptoms to her, and she didn't even listen to my chest or anything but told me to take OTC Mucinex. I looked in the book they gave me already and it said it's ok to take Robitussin DM so I took 2 doses of that, and she said Mucinex is about the same thing, I just can take 2 doses per day instead of a dose every 4 hrs like Robitussin.

DH says I should have hounded her to give me an Rx for antibiotics, but personally I feel DH immediately looks to medicine unnecessarily, and I like to stay as natural as possible if I can. I almost NEVER get sick, I mean really, I don't remember the last time I felt CLOSE to this. We're talking years.

So, what do you think? She would have given me a Rx for antibiotics if she felt I NEEDED them, right?? And I'm on the fence... being almost 37 weeks pregnant, would it hurt baby more for me to remain sick & stick it out or to medicate myself with antibiotics?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• if she felt that whatever was causing you to be sick was caused by a virus, which is going around ALL over the place, then anibiotics would not have done anything. they only work when it is a bacterial infection. the robitussin and mucinex are only tohelp with the symptoms and help you to feel better, not to cure what ails you. get some rest, and drink lots of water, you will prolly feel better inno time! :)
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 8:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• You probably have a virus and anti-biotics won't do a thing but increase your chance of getting a yeast infection or thrush after baby comes.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yeesh. I don't want a yeast infection... thanks... I have more leverage for DH now. :D He seriously gets MAD at me for not just flat out ASKING for antibiotics but he doesn't look deeper into it and think of the little ways it could affect me & lil' one in the belly. He's just got a "You're sick, you need to medicate with Rx drugs" kinda mentality.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Over-use and mis-use of antibiotics is the main reason so many antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria have developed. It's a waste to take them for a virus, unless there is some underlying infection. You might share that with your husband too.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's likely that antibiotics wouldn't have worked anyway - they are ineffective on the common cold, they only work on bacterial infections. If she suspected that, she would have prescribed something or examined you further.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011