Is it a good thing just because it came from "your side"?

If republicans sponsor something that wastes millions of dollars, is it ok since it's got an R after the sponsor's name? If liberals sponsor something that dials back someone's civil rights, is it still kosher because there's a D there? The reasoning being used in some of the proposals lately seems a tad hypocritical - violent speech is bad...from an R, but not a D. Ridiculous wasteful spending is horrific...from a D, but not an R. What gives?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am definatley a republican do I agree with everything just because it has an R by it of course not.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No. i'd love the other side to come up with some good stuff for once.
    SxyMartini

Answer by SxyMartini at 9:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• This is the time when being an Independent makes so much sense. I have no horse in the race, and can easily throw daggers at the behaviors and decisions of BOTH major parties. IMO, I think many in this forum forget that politics is not all that high on many peoples' interest (in the general population), and most voting Americans are moderates who can see the good and the bad from both sides. I think having "My party only" vision only adds to the problems; fuels the flames. People (even politicians) are NEVER right 100% of the time.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm not political. More people need to vote for the person or idea rather than the party.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Most Republicans would rather win than be right. They prove it over and over and over.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Which you can prove HOW DEplay? Because it seems to me YOU just proved EXACTLY what she is saying. I see no HERE over and over and over repubs calling out "their" officials. Including PAST ones. But good job showing what NP was talking about :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'm an independent. Although I'm quite liberal and line up better with Democrats between the two major parties, I don't consider myself a Democrat. There are some issues I'm relatively moderate on (or at least more willing to compromise on, especially fiscal issues) while I rarely want to compromise on things like civil rights or social issues.

If I don't like something a politician does, it usually means I don't want EITHER side to do it, and I often say so.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Nope..... I have disagreed with quite a few things from the right side of the aisle.... And have said so... Even here on CM.. ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I suppose that is the partisan way of looking at things that is so prevalent in this country. I do try to consider the actual proposals, and not the letter designating party affiliation after the name. Good ideas can come from either side, and so can bad ones.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Wasteful spending is wasteful spending no matter what letter comes after the name. Violating civil rights is violating civil rights no matter the letter. I don't subscribe to a party (don't have to in TX). Neither one of the big players seems to completely represent me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011