How do you keep a two year old from picking on other toddlers?

She keeps throwing toys and beating up othere toddlers at daycare.

megtinkerbell

Asked by megtinkerbell at 9:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Duct tape. :)

Seriously, there is a real phase there, I think. I'm a stay-at-home mom and my daughter went through a biting thing for about a month. Not other people. Just me. Ugh! They really turn into little cavemen when they are about two. I think it's that they are trying to figure out how to act like people, they have the emotions, but just haven't learned how to cope with it.

I wish I had a great answer for you, and it sounds like it's just happening at daycare, hopefully your daycare provider is dealing with it the same way you would deal with it. I'm assuming you've had a talk with her. Good luck!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 9:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They do they put her in time out. They told me the next time she bites she is being susuppended for a while. When she bites here at home we bite her back and say does that feel good, its bad and not nice.
    megtinkerbell

Comment by megtinkerbell (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Just my opinion, but it doesn't sound like a very good daycare if they're suspending her for biting, since this is a normal behavior for children to exhibit. Don't get me wrong, no one wants to have their kid bitten, or be the parent of the biter, but in children 2 years of age it happens. A good facility encourages the positive behaviors and reinforces/teaches children how to deal with their emotions, not kick them out and say forget it. If I were you I'd be finding a new childcare center. As far as your daughters aggressive behavior I'd be having a sit down with her care providers and get everyone on the same page. But I find the bigger concern here the willingness of a daycare to kick out a child then actually deal with the problem. I've worked in daycares and preschool's you're there to help the children not cast them aside. And at 2 all the behaviors mentioned are developmentally normal.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I know but the last three times she has bite it drew blood. She bit a boy threw his clothes and diaper and drew blood. THat was last week and she has not bite anyone this week so maybe she learned that she bitting is bad. Her day care teacher has started to teach her that hands are meant to be used softly and that she only puts food in her mouth. That seems to work so far so I hope that it works.
    megtinkerbell

Comment by megtinkerbell (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• through the clothes and diaper? is she a vampire baby? goodness! lol.
    well, that is totally normal, my son never went through this stage so im not really sure what to tell you, but they shouldn't kick her out b/c of something they should be helping you with. maybe time out isn't effective enough for her? not sure what else to do to a 2 yr old for discipline, other maybe a light pop in the mouth? not enough to hurt, just enough to startle her. and it should be you doing it, noone else, ya know what i mean? i have an 8 week old, so i'll be there someday, shes already nothing liek how my son was, so im in trouble! lol. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• It's a bummer being the parent of a biter, I know, but I also hope the daycare isn't disclosing to the other parents that your daughter is the one who bit. If blood was drawn legally they are required to fill out an incident report, and give a copy to you and a copy to the victims parents, but NEVER are names/gender to be given out. You SHOULD NOT know the name/gender of the child your daughter bit, and the other parents SHOULD NOT know who bit their kid. It breaks confidentiality and the law. If you failed to receive a signed incident report and were just told verbally, or names/genders are being revealed to parents, the daycare is breaking the law. Again, I'm not impressed with your childcare center.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• They are following all the guidelines and not tell me which kid she bit and vise vera. I really love this daycare center they helped with getting her potty trained before she was two. Her regular teacher is off one day dearing the week and that is when it happens. I think my daughter is just acting out to show that she would rather have her regualar teacher there.
    megtinkerbell

Comment by megtinkerbell (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Well that makes me feel better :) and yeah that makes sense, her acting out when a different teacher is present. She probably doesn't have the vocabulary to say to the sub teacher, "i don't like you because you're not my normal teacher and we have a bond" so she gets angry and bites. I still think its ridiculous they're threatening to suspend your daughter, but I'm really glad to hear they're not breaking confidentiality, I see it happen all the time and it really bothers me.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2011