Do you snoop?

The previous post got me wondering. How many moms snoop? I don't go through my son's room.
Once a month I get sick enough of the mess and tell him if it doesn't get cleaned, I will clean it. At that point I'll nose into every note and drawer he has if I have to be there anyway.
The threat usually works though so I only end up cleaning his room about once a year.

katey1211

Asked by katey1211 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My theory was this: If you give me reason to snoop, I will. If you don't, I will respect your privacy.

When you know that I'm the one who puts away your socks and underwear? Leave your weed on top in your sock drawer and it's going to earn you room searches until your drug tests come out clean for six months. That was the rule for both my stepsons and they seemed ok with it.

They knew that coming home smelling of smoke, alcohol, or finding drug paraphernalia was going to earn them a loss of privacy. My house, they know the rules, they can choose. It worked.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 9:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Just a little. I have access to his room & car - and so far, I dont have reason to suspect a thing. Plus he puts stuff on his FB, so nothing is really private when it's out there for all of computerland to see! But if you suspect anything is wrong & you notice changes in behavior, drops in grades- you know -the usual stuff, then by all means - you HAVE to do whatever it takes to protect them from themselves! I work around teens a lot & you wouldnt believe the stupid sh*t they do & say b/c they think it's cool or funny. After getting an ear-full from them, I'm grateful my kids are doing pretty good. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My kids are too young to worry about snooping right now but when they are older hitting teen years oh ya I will most likely be a big snooper!
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• His room is tidy most days.. He's never given me a reason to so I guess, no I don't snoop. However I do look at his facebook all the time. I also read his emails, they get sent to my account in a report once a month. He doesn't have a cell phone so no worries there.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• btw he's 14 yrs old.
    MrsLeftlane

• snoop? i'm sorry, aren't you the parent? aren't you the one that pays the bills, puts a roof over your teens head, feeds and clothes them? snoop? i'm sorry, my kids are little right now, but there will be no "snooping". i won't have to. i have full reign of my house, that includes their rooms. sure i'll give them privacy, to get dressed, bathe, ect. but what comes into this house is my business.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Not so much anymore. I never felt the need with my son, he never gave us any trouble in any area.

With our daughter, there was a time when she was 13 - 15, when I really had to stay on top of her shenanigans. I confiscated rum and vodka from her gym bag. I got her pass word to her myspace and went through all her activities online. Now, she's past all the teen craziness. At 17, thankfully, she has calmed down, and we laugh about some of the crap she used to pull. She actually asks for (and usually takes) my advice. We are 'friends' on facebook.

As long as I don't have to, I don't snoop; but I don't feel that absolute privacy is a right children are entitled to. It is a privilege they have to earn.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I'd snoop only if I have good reason to.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I was just curious. Of course I COULD have full reign, I choose not too. I didn't know other people's take.

Given an inclination to snoop (suspected illlegal anything) I would.
    katey1211

Comment by katey1211 (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• All three of mine are full grown, but when I saw that something was going on and they wouldn't share so I could help, I snooped!!!!!!! not ashamed of it and I would do it again in a heart beat. When they reach a certain age and they change in some way in a negative way, there is no other choice.

Answer by older at 9:57 AM on Jan. 26, 2011