how do you tell your son he is going to be a big brother? and when?

jaismama

Asked by jaismama at 9:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• How old is your son? I have 3 dd's and with my older two they we're so close in age my oldest didnt understand. When our third came along we told our older two daughters around my 3rd month.

GL!

Sabrina

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 9:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• How old is your son?

Ours turned 4 last month. We told him pretty much right away. We just told him mommy's going to have a baby. He IMMEDIATELY started saying he's going to have a little sister. He was right! We're having a girl due May 4th.

He's going to be a phenominal big brother! We talk about the baby all the time and he talks to my tummy (his sister). We let him be involved in picking stuff out for her and he's so excited to finally bring her home.

I believe in tell them early and getting them used to the idea.
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 9:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We waited until we were 12 weeks, just to be safe. We had a family meeting (4 other kids) and told them that they were going to have a baby brother or sister. They were 8, 10, 10, and 12.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Mine is 5 and I told him immediately..then we had a miscarriage, that was a harder to explain but he took it ok. 4 months later we got pregnant again and I hesitated telling him so early but I couldn't keep something that important a secret in our house. He was so happy when we told him but also told him to just pray it's healthy and we'll see what happens..now I'm in my second trimester and so far so good :)
    careyperry

Answer by careyperry at 1:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I told my 5 year old daughter right away because it was unplanned and we thought she would make it more exciting for us because we knew she would be ecstatic. We explained that something could happen and that Jesus would take the baby to heaven. We have been to the Dr now and saw the heartbeat but are still aware that something could happen. But she has made this such a better situation for us since we were not planning on having any more. I think it depends on the age of the child.
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 10:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son will be 4 this march and has been asking for a little sister and has already picked out a name for his sister. We just found out 2 ddays ago I'm about 5 weeks. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    jaismama

Comment by jaismama (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Jan. 26, 2011