Using an Advanced Cell Phone Without a Data Package?

I'd love to get a Blackberry, but T-Mobile requires that I get a "data package" if I get that phone. I don't have any use for Internet on a cell phone. Do you know of any cell phone companies that don't make you have a data package if you have one of the advanced phones?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Shopping

• (Yes, you can use a smart phone without a data package). DH uses a smart phone and we recently switched from AT&T to Sprint because AT&T charged a monthly fee above and beyond our family plan, for EACH device. It is cheaper for us to get the family plan on Sprint with an "unlimited" data package for ALL the devices, whether we use them or not (we currently have 3 phones on the plan).
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 9:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I believe that most of them make you get the data plan. Can I ask if you don't want to use the internet or other functions why do you want a BB? Personally I have the smart phone/driod and LOVE it and glad that I have the unlimited data plan.
    frugalistamom2

Answer by frugalistamom2 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I don't believe that they even work without the data package. You can't activate the phone without the package.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I want the Blackberry for the scheduler function (like a PDA). (Probably should have said that in the question, huh?) TMobile used to let you use those types of phones without the data package, but they changed their policy last year sometime.

I just hate paying $20 extra a month for something I won't use.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thank you 5BabyBees, I'll look into Sprint!!
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011