acting out in the store

my 2 half year old has to much enery all day and we live where it to cold to go out side, so when we go to the stores or out to eat he act up. im worrieed cuz he just runs off in the store and i want to spank him in the store but i just dont feel comfortable spanking him in a public place any idea

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the answer to this is dont take him to the store (unless u really have too) it saves u and him stress.
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• He needs to learn that there is an appropriate way to act in public. If he cannot stay by you and act correctly, then take away his freedom. Put him in the cart. Once he learns that he can stay out by acting right, he will not be as bad.

Now, the hard part. You will have to let him scream his head off and ignore it. He is doing it for attention. Just keep going on about your business. Ignore the stares of others.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I kept mine close to me.. in otherwords a tight rein.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• my 5 yr old does this!! i hate it! but i do spank him if need be.
    how about giving him a list of things to get, keep his mind focused on something. or play a game like how long he can hold onto the cart. if he holds on for a certain amount of time he gets a treat?
    i usually ignore it unless he is disruptive to others or destructive, then he goes in the cart. will he sit in the cart with a book or a coloring book? how about a couple cars or a favorite toy?
    my friend bought one of those hand held video players, made for kids. it worked for awhile.
    maybe play hide and seek? well, ok, maybe not...lol. but i used to let my son hide under a rack, i always knew which one, b/c i would watch him, and then while youre looking at things "look" for him,
    idk, just some ideas. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Try to find ways to get his energy out, kids really need that. An exercise video or the wiggles at home. Does the mall have an indoor play place? Do the local fast food places have any indoor play-places? What about any mommy-and-me classes for gymnastics or music play or open play in your area? YMCA? You already seem to understand the reason why he is doing it, if he doesn't get to play and run-around anywhere but home, he's going a little stir crazy. You already understand his need, maybe you can do something to find him an outlet for his energy. Also, in the store, try to make it fun for him. Zoom down the isle with your cart making car noises. Maybe let him choose the direction your going in, as the driver or navigator. Here, publix and winn dixie have "car" carts with steering wheels, and we play race-car a lot. I also go to the toy isle and get her something small to keep her attention. And sometimes..
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I ask her to help me get things and put them in the cart. All that usually helps. But also, having someone with you or doing multiple shorter trips instead of big long ones might help also.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• oh, snacks are helpful too.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Keep him in the stroller or cart. Spanking is not going to help. Never take him when he is tired or hungry. Bring snacks or a lolly pop. My kids get a bagel every time we go to the grocery store.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011