Anyone have a good diabetic chocolate cake with chocolate frosting recipe?

I was just asked to make a cake for my husband's grandfather for tomorrow and I was looking for a good recipe.Thanks

jenniferlee_12

Asked by jenniferlee_12 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I don't personally but my sil who is diabetic said try splenda.com they have lots of recipes! Good Luck!
    mommacat

Answer by mommacat at 11:18 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• There are box cake mixes made with Splenda now, so that is one option. But if you really want to make it special, go for a flourless chocolate cake. Rich and decadent, he won't even realize it's diabetic-friendly!
    Here's my recipe:
    5 eggs, separated
    5 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
    3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
    1/2 c butter
    1 tbsp espresso
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt

1 cup heavy cream
    1 tbsp espresso powder
    1 tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 350F

Butter the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Line with a circle of parchment paper, butter paper and sides of pan and dust with flour, tapping out excess.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• cont...

Melt chocolate, butter and espresso powder and vanilla in a bowl set over simmering water. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl until well blended. Whisk chocolate mixture into yolks. Whip egg whites with salt to soft peaks and fold into chocolate/yolk mixture. Gently mix until no white remains. Pour into prepared pan and bake until risen and set, 35-45 minutes.

To make the whipped cream, whip the cold cream until soft peaks begin to form. Add the espresso powder and sugar, whip until cream just holds a stiff peak.

When cool, remove side of pan, invert cake onto a serving platter and peel off paper. Serve with the espresso cream.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• NOTES: You can sub milk for the espresso in the cake, and cocoa powder or finely grated dark chocolate for espresso powder in the topping. You can also make a ganache to top it with. A ganache is just melted chocolate and cream. A lot of people don't realize that dark chocolate is a low-impact food for diabetics, because there if very little sugar and it is well balanced. You can melt 8 ounces of chopped dark or bittersweet chocolate in 8 ounces (1 cup) of heavy cream, and let set until thick. At this point you can beat it until fluffy or pour it on as a rich chocolate coating.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2008