just foung out i have gestational diabetes....

has anyone had it before? if so, how did you cope? did u follow a specific diet plan? what about cravings???

SQ13

Asked by SQ13 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yep, I had it. Just watch your carbs and sugars. Look up low carb diet. You can still give into some of the cravings, you just have to be smart about it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Yes, I had it with both my pregnancies. kept it under control by watching my sugar intake and making sure you have good snacks before bedtime to keep ya going through out the night. I drank those Carnation drinks (ONE) before bedtime as they were a good source of protein etc. if ya feel "off" during the night just have like half a glass of milk, munch on some cashews (nuts) just keep your blood sugar level steady. Don't panic too much if you get some high readings just learn from it & do your best. I hated poking my fingers but the better you are at keeping control of your sugar level the less you will have to test everyday. GL I know it sucks but it will be all over b4 ya know it.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I had it with my 2nd. It was fine. Just watch what you eat a little more carefully. Celery and peanut butter at night always gave me a low reading in the morning. If I wanted something sweet, I'd eat it, but was careful.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• yeah i kinda freaked out a little when i found out.... thanks ladies
    SQ13

Comment by SQ13 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have diabetes type 2 .Watch those carbs and get some excercise everyday. & use portion control . oh yeah and test ,test,test. You will be ok.
    chicklet34

Answer by chicklet34 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• also try to go for a small walk after dinner or when ya can even if its around the block it helps alot
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011