How old for bunkbeds?

My younger two boys are 3 and 4 and the 4 year old is almost to big for his toddler bed. He still likes it and is comfortable when he is sleeping, but will need a twin soon.

Their bedroom is small and there really isn't a lot of room for a twin and a toddler bed. So I was wondering when a bunkbed was an option.

I am looking for one like this, with the safety rail all the way around it and with stairs instead of a ladder. What is your opinion?

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/po/100226/911r3/5383c2d_27.jpeg

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 9:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• I put my daughter in bunkbeds when she was three almost four. She loved it. Just start them off on the bottom, and make sure they understand safety. Also, make sure they don't have any ropes, jackets or anything that they could strap around the top bunk as in risk of hanging. I know it's not something we want to think about, but when we bought the beds, there was a warning label on it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think the recommendation is 6 or older for a top bunk.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Me and my bro had them when we were 3 and 5. I think as long as he can get safely up and down it would be fine.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son had one that was very similar in design and he was 4. I knew he'd want the top bunk, so the railings worked out great. One of the things I did for both beds was to buy a battery operated light that sticks on the wall that you just push to turn on and the boys could use that at night to read by or to get up to use the bathroom. They loved them.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I wanted to get that kind, but it was out of our budget. We had bunks for our older 2 that didn't have a side rail, and oldest DD was in it at 4 - the only time she ever fell out was when she was playing around, not while she was sleeping. My younger 2 have bunks too, older of the 2 was not quite 5 when we got them. She's never fallen out.
    Anonymous

• I would say 4 yrs old at the bottom. I would be scared to have them fall if they tried to get on the top.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am hoping the 5 will be okay because I am going to have this issue soon as well.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 10:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• My son (5) has a junior loft bed and i'm thinking of putting a mattress down on the floor for the bottom part for his younger brother (2 almost 3). It's lower to the ground than a top bunk bunk bed. he sleeps in it just fine. I think the bed you posted looks nice though. I like it!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• We're getting a bunk bed as soon as DS is out of the crib, probably 1 1/2 years old. He'll take the bottom and 5 yo DD will take the top. She'll need a bigger bed by then, and their room won't hold two beds very well either.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2011