Learning Books for a preschooler - Ideas Needed

My son will be completing preschool this may and starting Kindergarten this fall. I would like to keep him learning over the summer so he doesn't fall behind - My question is : What brand of workbooks should I use? Are some better then others? Should I use a preschool book - or a Kindergarten book?

Thanks

GingerT

Asked by GingerT at 10:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not much a fan of workbooks at that age. I would suggest lots of math manipulatives and practicing phonics. We really like starfall.com and www.progressivephonics.com Both are free.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would use a Kindergarten book and there are many brands on the Market. I would take some time and visit a bookstore and browse a few before you decide on one. Good for you for not wanting your child to forget what he has learned.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• starfall . com has awesome learning books, you can buy them, but they also have printable ones for free and great fun phonic games. We used them for homeschooling and my daughter still loves them
    katey1211

Answer by katey1211 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Hmmm...i work at Scholastic, and we really do have some great workbooks for the little ones, but one of the best things you can do (according to research) is to read with your son every night. Reading at home (during the day, bedtime, nap-time, or even just having him see you read) will encourage a love of reading and help instill the importance of education. It will also help keep him from falling behind. Children that do not read (or have books read to them) during the summer are WAY more likely to be impacted by the summer reading slide & have a harder time learning down the line. If you need specific book names or ideas email me and I can do a little research for you. Even if you don't use Scholastic, just be sure you read to him daily :) My daughter is 3 1/2 and she is doing SO amazing because of what i've put into practice from learning at work. Hope this helps :)
    momofbeauty07

Answer by momofbeauty07 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• as a preschool teacher, books are great. But I wouldn't suggest you do it with him. Especially during the summer. Make learning fun. Play games, Candyland teaches colors, math and basic game skills. Read to him, go to the library. Review letters, number, shapes and work on writing his name. I know that where I work the kindergarten teacher want the kids to be able to write their first and last names in upper and lower case letters. You could always ask the kindergarten teachers where you live what they are wanting children to already know. When in doubt make it fun. He will be doing work in books for the next 12 years, make it fun!!!!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 10:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Enroll him in summer reading at your library. They have fun activities and the kids get prizes for their reading and it is a good time to teach him how to use a library and to pick favorite authors. You will meet lots of families and friendships will be formed. Most libraries have a children's librarian that will give you help if you need it.
    Check the school district web site to look at the K curriculum. Does your district do K entrance testing? rather than work books I would make sure he has the skills needed to begin K prepared.
    Read, Read, Read .........wordless books are great , they will help him to look at the pictures and make up his own story. Fun
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Thanks for all the great feedback!! We read almost every night at bedtime usually for 15 - 20 minutes a night. He loves Candyland - we do play that a lot. Keep the ideas coming !! My son is one of the younger kids in his class (June Birthday) I don't think he needs Junior Kindergarten but I want to make sure that I am doing all that I can to ensure he will love Kindergarten as much as he loves preschool!!
    GingerT

Comment by GingerT (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The workbooks I use for my ds are off the shelves at Wal-Mart (not sure of the brand). They have colors, shapes, alphabet and numbers with some comparison (big/small, tall/ short). It's been beneficial. They also have different skill level, my ds is 3.5 so we're usuing the early books.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011