what do i do with a destructive 3 year old

i kid can be destructive i have 3 other boys but this is the worst i have ever seen it starts when he wakes up and doesnt stop till he falls asleep he has put holes in the wall destroyed carpet furniture you name it hes broke it even a lead anvil nothing i seem to do works its hard to take him out in public ive tried time out spanking taking toys away standing in the corner naps it just doesnt help i know its not attention he wants cause he get it all day long ive had to take him out of day care and im worried about what will happen when he starts school could their possibally be something wrong with him i asked his doc but he said he just a normal 3 year old but ive been there 3 other times my 6 year old has adhd and i thought it might be that but the doc says 3 year old dont have it and my 6 year old just couldnt sit still no matter how hard he tries i need help im about to go crazy

puddle_jumper

Asked by puddle_jumper at 11:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well one, it sounds like a very active three year old. two - my oldest son also has ADHD so I know how that works and maybe your youngest son is modeling behavior he has seen from your older son ( maybe just on a bigger scale). three - don't give him any attention when he does something you do not like, when he does something don't yell, just put him in a time out and walk away. after a few minutes go back in and tell him why what he did was wrong. and make him clean up the mess. (as long as he can't get hurt) after awhile maybe he will realize it is not getting him any attention and hopefully stop doing it. now with all that said my youngest son is 3, and I know exactly how they can make you want to pull all your hair and scream as loud as you can. good luck mama

kristyann

Answer by kristyann at 3:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Find ways to structure his day! keep him busy! Whether it's helping you "rake leaves", "Build a treehouse". He needs an outlet to channel this destruction into construction.
    Anonymous

• I have a 3 year old daughter like your son. I wish I could tell you how to fix it but I cant. I just wanted to let you know you arent alone. My daughter got very spoiled at a young age and we have started trying to fix that now but it doesnt seem to be working the best. I have also asked the doctor he just said be consitent. I have a 8 year old son that is adhd and i have wondered if she was adhd but she seems worse then I remember him being.
    bellabuddybug

Answer by bellabuddybug at 8:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Hi moms. I just got a DVD for my daughter called 'The Happiest Baby on the Block'. This doctor is AMAZING. He also has a book and maybe a DVD called 'The Happiest Toddler on the Block'. I would strongly suggest you check it out! Dr. Karp... I forget his first name. Here's his website link

http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/      

All the best to you. I wish I'd known about this guy when my children were little. Now our 4th grandchild is on the way, and you can BET we'll be using these techniques.

Ruth AKA MomShap

MomShap

Answer by MomShap at 12:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2008