Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Custody and Drug Tests adult content

I am going through a cusotdy battle right now with my ex. He told me on the phone the other day that he has tried with weed and that he used while our child was in his care. He said that he went and let his mom watch him and I have noticed that he goes out to bars often (at least once a week) and will leave our son with his mom. This bothers me terribly because if he honestly wanted to have custody of our son then he wouldnt be doing this.

I have told my lawyer what he said and my lawyer said that in these cases i fhe is asked to submit to a drug test then they will ask him to step out that same day and submit. But from what I have read online that doesnt seem to be the case. He also isnt sure what type of test they will do and I am nervous that he will have enough time to clean himself for a urine test or it already be out of his system because I dont know when the last time he smoked was.

So my question is if he is asked to submit, when will he be tested and what kind of test will it be? Can I ask they give him the hair one?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (2)
  • Your lawyer is the best resource to ask these questions to. He knows the law and the system. However, it takes 22 days to get weed out of your system in a urine test. Depending on the state and the county you can request different tests.

    But if he smokes a little pot and is a good dad, even though he goes out to the bar, don't take custody away from him. A kid needs both parents to be around and weed is not a big deal as long as it is in moderation. Not to mention the entire country is full of alcoholics - Go to your local grocery store, look at the alcohol isle - he is doing what 90% of Americans do daily. If he goes to the bar and leaves your child with someone responsible that is totally ok. If he is being a total jerk off then yeah take custody but please don't over react like many of us often do.

    Answer by skribe at 12:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • If your ex enjoys smoking some weed and going to the bars, why can't he do that when the child is with you? Doesn't "visitation" mean their is actual visiting going on?

    Answer by MrsLooney at 3:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.