How to eat for 1 on $20-25 weekly?

It's not like the states, where you can use coupons and get free or cheap stuff. I am from Northern Ontario and it's rare to ever get anything for free with coupons. My goal right now is to eat on 20-25 bucks for myself weekly. Some things I already do to save on food is rarely eat red meat, buy frozen veggies, and buy milk by the jug( about 3.50 4 L).

ChildGoddess

Asked by ChildGoddess at 11:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• You might be able to do it if you are buying the whole month worth at a time. For instance you can buy a whole 4-5lb chicken for around $5, but it would feed one person several meals. Since you probably don't want to eat that chicken every day of the week, you can freeze it in serving size potions.

I would buy things like dried beans, one pound cost around $2, that is 6-8 meals. They are highly nutritious and you can make a whole slew of different dishes with it.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Beans as protein, frozen veggies, buy the big packs of meat and break it up into sections for various meals, oatmeal for breakfast, eggs for dinner if you need to.
    Anonymous

• We feed seven people on under 100/week it is doable and that price includes some of the basic household items. We learn to stock up on sales use all parts if possible and focus on portion size. Water to drink beans rice and pasta as well as a garden in the summer. It costs a bit to stock up but then the weekly grocery bill is reduced
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 12:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Dried beans and lentils are a great way to stretch your grocery dollars.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's rare to get anything for free with coupons in the States, too.

Buy canned vegetables and fruits which are cheaper compared to frozen or fresh and last a lot longer.

Eat a lot of pasta. Powdered milk is cheaper than fresh. Buy generic when you can.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2011