Is it o.k to take the iron and the prenatal vitamin together?

I take the prenatal vitamin first and I'm tired to wait 30 minutes then i have to wait like 30 to an hour to take the iron is it o.k to take them both

Milindus

Asked by Milindus at 11:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i wouldn't see why not but why don't you just take one in the morning and one in the evening that way you don't have to wait
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 11:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I would talk to your doc, b/c alot of prenatals have iron in them and if you have to take the iron and your vitamins dont have iron in them they can get you different ones that do have it in them.
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 11:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The pre-natals are loaded with iron, so talk to your doctor about taking the iron. If there is a medical reason why you might need even more iron, then ask your doctor what is the best time for your body to absorb everything.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was told that as long as it doesn't upset your stomach its ok.....but it made my morning sickness worse to take them together so I didn't.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I had to take 650 mg of ferrous sulfate for anemia while pregnant. the nurse reccommended I take my pills before bed to ease nausea. SO I took them together
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Here's the deal with Iron. Iron is best absorbed with Vitamin C (prenatal has a lot). Calcium will block much of the absorption of Iron. Check you label to see how much Calcium is in your prenatal. If there is more than 20%calcium, then take your iron an hour later. Also, if you drink milk in the AM, I wouldn't take the Iron supplement them.

I take a prenatal, and then calcium supplements. If I drink milk in the AM, I take the calcium then, and take the prenatal at lunch. If I am eating grapefruit, or something else very rich is Vit. C, I take the prenatal in the AM, and the calcium at lunch.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• yes, i don't see y not. i take them together and have not had any problems.
    Aneq

Answer by Aneq at 12:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2008