Anyone out there highlight your own hair?

I want highlights but there's not way I'm paying $80 for something I'm going to have to keep redoing when it starts to grow in. Just wondering if anyone does this? Wish I had a friend close by who could do it with me!!!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• yup, i do have been doing it for years but i am also a hair dresser well when i wnt to be, and you can too do it urself its really easy, and as long as you take care of it n only do it when ur suppose to u wont have any problems...
    NEEKSEXI

Answer by NEEKSEXI at 2:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Too bad I don't live nearby (checked your profile) because I'm with you on the cost of something that seems so easy to do! (Though why do I think that ease is probaby deceptive?!) I would help you and let you do mine, too! If it didn't turn out great? Well, that's the great thing about hair, it grows!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 12:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well, no offense, but have fun with that. If it were so easy I wouldn't have had to pay 22 grand in student loans to learn how to do it. Do you know how bleach and color work on hair? Do you know how to get close to the scalp without bleeding? Do you know what bleeding is? It takes me as a professional 2 hours to do a cut and foil. Most students take around 5 hours. I'm sorry, but I worked my ass off to learn how to do it. I've seen a ton of do it yourself accidents, but they do give me job security. $80 isn't that much for a full foil, you get what you pay for. But please don't belittle the craft! :) Maybe you could just pay for a partial foil or 10 foils if you are strapped.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i have done my own for years, and i have always been complimented on it :) ill admit i mess up rarely once i actually had to go buy dark color cause it was as if i bleached allllll my hair. but that was like 7 yrs ago. since then perfected it. :)but honestly doing it yourself does damage ur hair more.
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 5:11 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I do! I find it looks better when I have one of my friends foil it because if I do it myself I have to pull it through a cap and it dosent get as close to the root but the good thing about highlights you only have to do re do it like every 3 to 6 month depending on how fast ur hair grows
    MasonsMommy1229

Answer by MasonsMommy1229 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Umm...wanna lighten up? That's kinda why I mentioned the "ease is probably deceptive". If it tells you anything, I pay to have my 6 year-old daughter's hair cut because I'm a menace with scissors.

Relax.
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 12:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no. I have a friend that do mines.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• ive tried to do my own but it comes out horrible. i spend more $ trying to fix it so now i just go to salon.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'm on northern californian, North of sacramento, in the rice fields, the only soul for miles around. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way! LOL! I'm looking at youtube videos and they say it's not that hard, but I have pretty long hair, so it would definitely be easier to do it with someone!
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't need to, as I have natural highlights. Here's a bump!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2011