are you getting the H&R block debit card? Did you know....

that everytime you use it there is a fee of $1.95 taken off for charges...and when you go to an aTM and the ATM has their fee and the card also has a fee of $2.50

I found out about this last year when we got our card....

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 12:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• That's why we NEVER get the Emerald Card (or at least I think that's what it's called). A bunch of people we know in 3 or 4 different states (including our own) have had that issue, but they don't really care about it. Personally, I want every cent because we need it (tax time is when we get new glasses, tires, pay bills for a few months in advance, etc.). We almost got one the first year we were married, but after talking to a few people and hearing about all the fees, we said screw it and just went with the check.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Musicmom - some states have really good consumer protection laws about things like this, others don't. In Ohio they are charged fees as well, one of DH's employees did this last year and she was really upset about it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Rip off! That is how they get you, lure you in with a great sales pitch and then screw you over in fees.

Thanks for getting the word out!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It does charge you what I did was went to the bank and pulled it all out of the card then put it in my actual checking account that way i didnt have to deal with the bullshit charges
    MasonsMommy1229

Answer by MasonsMommy1229 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I've been using it for 4 years now. We haven't seen anything on our card at all. I have checked several times. Maybe it's the state?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• they also charge you a credit fee if you want to transfer money from that card to a new bank account (i know some people like to open accounts when you get your refund but want hte $ right away) there are also credit limits on the cards
    cevyn

Answer by cevyn at 12:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thanks Scuba, I figured that much. I have my last years statement and the only charges are from me withdrawling money from a gas station ATM.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No i'm not getting it & yes i knew. What a ripp off!

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'll look for sure, but I got the tax advance this year on my card and I just read all the fine print that came with, and I'm not seeing anything.
    I'm going to ask when I go in, just to be sure. ;)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• when i found out about the charges I went and pulled all the money out and put it into checking...they aren't going to tell you about the fees up front and out loud...however you ever notice your money goes faster on the card?
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011