Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what are signs of autism

my boyfriends son will be 3 april 1st and will not talk but will try to repeat the last word of a sentance we say and will keep repeating it over and over and will not play by his self and if we play with him he cant hold his attion for more than a min and his mood swings are crazy one time u ask him to pick up his toys his does it with a huge smile and is so excited then the next time throws his self on the ground screaming

Answer Question

Asked by bailey1999 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • my son did all that but he didnt understand commands like 'pick up your toys'

    at his 3 month well check ask the pedi she will tell you if shes concerned and refer you to the specialist

    Answer by pookipoo at 12:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • 3 year sorry

    Answer by pookipoo at 12:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • my 10 yr old son has mild autism, he definatley had a speach dealy. now i have another child, he is 3 right now..& he talks well. you should definatley see a Dr. & see if feels there is just a speech delay, some sort of other behavioral issues, or autism. I would also not JUST settle for 1 Drs opinion if they shrug it off & say its nothing. If you are noticing something..u are not crazy. for me some doctors saw that my son had autism & others did not. there are specialists , some dr's are experienced in autism others definatley are not familiar with it at all.good luck

    Answer by hellokitty1978 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • At his 3-year well child check-up, make sure you bring these things up to his pediatrician. It's better to be safe than sorry.

    Answer by Scuba at 12:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • i forgot to add my son has autism

    Answer by pookipoo at 12:44 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • hellokitty is right though, some doctors will say its normal, so a 2nd opinion is always nice

    Answer by pookipoo at 12:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • my boyfriends ex takes him to the dr and wont let us know where she is taking him he is waiting for lawyer to make her give up the info so hopefuly we can take him to his regular dr if not i am going to c if my baby dr will c him thanks for the advice

    Comment by bailey1999 (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • The doctors were not much help. We got our first diagnosis of autism through the school. You could go to babynet or child find through the school. (that's what it's called here) Once we had their diagnosis from the school psychologist the doctors began to take notice. Also, contact your local autism society for referrals to doctors or organizations to help you determine if it's autism.

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.