Is this happening in your kid's school too?

My stepson is on a block schedule rotation for his classes in high school. Basically every semester he takes 4 new classes. Today started the third semester, and I just looked online to see which classes he is taking. One of them is Algebra I, and the teacher is FL VA, or Florida Virtual Academy. What does that mean? Does that mean he is going to be taking that class online? I wont see him again until Friday, to be able to ask him about this. I'm just wondering are other schools utilizing online classes within the school?

What are your thoughts on this?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 12:46 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My middle-school and high-school boys are on the rotating blocks, but neither have had any virtual classes. You wou;d think that Algebra wouldn't be offered as an on-line course, it can be pretty intense (at least it was for me, lol).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'm kind of on the fence. I think it can be beneficial, so long as the students are able to work at their own pace, with in reason. Having examples animated on the computer, and being able to view those examples as many times as needed to understand, could be beneficial. But I hope there will be an actual teacher involved to help answer questions. No teacher was listed though, just FL VA. I'm sure they will be supervised, but will that person even know anything about Algebra to be able to help? I just don't know. I can't wait to ask him about it Friday when I pick him up.
    my2.5boys

Comment by my2.5boys (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• In my High school we had video classes we interacted with a teacher on a television we also had block scheduling.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 12:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I took French online when I was in high school, umm...6 years ago. LOL, couldn't remember there for a minute. So yes, it is happening. I know my husbands siblings took some classes online as well just within the last 2 years. None of my siblings have but I think it is a choice at the high school they go to.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:56 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes, we offer both- its usually the students choice- maybe he decided to try and online class or oopps- one wrong number on your registration form and you are in the wrong class-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:33 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• More and more schools are offering virtual classrooms as a way to save money.
    My daughter did one of her English courses online last summer and is hoping to take at least one math course and maybe a science course this summer online to get ahead and graduate a semester early. Our HS is also on the block schedule.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• A lot of schools in Florida do it that way.
    mamagoose524

Answer by mamagoose524 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011