How do you feel about this approach by his defense team?

I saw on the news earlier that Jared Loughner's defense team entered a "not guilty" plea because they think they can get him a life sentence instead of a death sentence if they play up his "mental state." If they say he wasn't aware of what was right and wrong at the time, then he should be held accountable based on instability.

Do you think his actions were fueled by his mental state? Or do you think he knew exactly what he was doing?

I know exactly how I feel about it. I want to see what you all think.

Bubbles318

Asked by Bubbles318 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he knew what he was doing. JMO
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think I am glad it is not up to me to decide!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Personally I believe he knew exactly what he was doing ~ and hoped that it would end much differently. Whether or not he understood what he was doing should have no bearing on his sentence and punishment. It is up to our courts to punish individuals so that the public is protected, not insulted. Forcing the public to pay to feed, house, and medicate this defective person is an insult (particularly given the economic state of the country and general public).

Understanding mental illness doesn't 'cure' anything, nor does it change the outcome of a mentally ill person's actions. Once someone causes harm or death to others, their mental state should no longer be the issue. Attempting to figure out a twisted brain won't give back what he took. Nothing will. His punishment should reflect that.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This is similar to the defense that Brian Nichols' lawyers used, and it kept that case from going to trial for YEARS. Nichols murdered a judge, court reporter, security officer and an INS worker, and held a woman hostage until she talked him into letting her go. (This happened here in the Atlanta area.) When the case FINALLY went to trial, he was found guilty and sentenced to life.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sheriff Dupnik certainly hasn't helped the prosecution.He rattled off on tv giving the shooter excuses for his actions.Personally I believe he knew what he was doing.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:04 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Do you think his actions were fueled by his mental state?

Yes, as his school records indicate, he had severe mental issues....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:58 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• He knew just what he wanted to do. I just think he was not planning on being alive to get punished. He left several good by messages on phone and social media.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Both.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2011