How to get in-laws to not give DS soda?

My in-laws gave their other grandkids (who they raised for several years) soda at a very early age. I am conserned they will do the same with my son. I am not sure how to nicely ask them not to without offending them, being ignored, and/or them thinking i am just being stupid. We have different parenting views and i dont want my son to form a bad habbit. Suggestions?

ALEXANDRAGN

Asked by ALEXANDRAGN at 1:21 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately hun you're just going to have to be strait up about it. Let them know that you want your son to drink water and milk (or whatever else). Explain that soda has no nutrient value so it's something you prefer to stay away from for now.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:24 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• his mom is very opionated and i just think she is going to have a problem with it and get offended and probably do whatever she wants anyway lol i dont know how i can put it in a way she will understand
    ALEXANDRAGN

Comment by ALEXANDRAGN (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had the same problem with in-laws, and i just didn't leave my kids alone with them until they were older and it was ok for them to have a little soda and such.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Just tell her. And tell her its your child. Have your DH tell them also. And instead of freezing up when you see them give your chidl something, say " I'm sorry, I don't allow my son to eat that." I'm extremely picky about what my son eats. And I'm not shy in telling people that. They will get annoyed about it and say rude things about you.. but really.. who cares? They want to complain about what you do then the second they see how well your child eats, they CAN'T figure out WHY. Lol ever think its mayeb because I dont stock him up on sugar before meals or let him drink a ton of juice? Just stand your ground. You're in the right.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 2:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thats what im thinking i may do but i dont know if that will cause an issue with my hubby. I may ask him to talk to them but if they have issues with it i just dont think i can leave him with them. Also i feel like they may try to give it to him in front of me too just to be like its fine i can do whatever i want what can you do lol. its just a touchy situation.
    ALEXANDRAGN

Comment by ALEXANDRAGN (original poster) at 2:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Never leave them alone with your child

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If he is with them a lot supply what you want your son to have. Explain to them that is what he can have and no soda. Consider having someone else watch him if they do not do as you ask. If he only sees them once a month or something I would let it go once he is 3-4 or so. (don't kow his age)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I meant *know*
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• my mother is the same way with my son, what i don't want him to have, she gives him....but thats what grandparents do, right? well, it started to effect him at home, when i would tell him no, he would start these rediculous tantrums over it. so i finally told my mother if she coudln't abide by my rules, then she doesn't get him. she still does it with little things, but the bigger things she knows better. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 8:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• he is 4 and 1/2 months now and she was already starting talk about giviing him some! i know she let her other grandkids have them at 1 as soon as they could get to the fridge and get it she let them have it. I am not big into letting kids eat a lot of junk and fast food and thats fine if she does it with the other kids but i dont want my son to be affected byt it.
    ALEXANDRAGN

Comment by ALEXANDRAGN (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011