If you don't use cow's milk, but use another type

What kind do you use? (Soy, almond, coconut, etc.) Why do you use it (tastes better to you, lactose intolerance, etc.)? What do you use it for (cooking, cereal, just drinking, shakes, etc.)?

I used soy milk for years (I'm lactose intolerant, plus I think cow's milk is nasty lol). In the past 3 months, we've found almond milk (Silk's first, then Almond Breeze a few days ago) and coconut milk at Walmart. I was amazed and thrilled. We got the almond milk and instantly fell in love with it. It's the first kind of milk that I've ever been able to just pour a glass and drink. The coconut milk that we found is pretty good, too, but not nearly as good as the almond.

Finding these things may not be shocking to a lot of people, but we live in a VERY rural area (have you seen Wrong Turn or Deliverance?), so it's quite a shock around here.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:31 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I drink almond milk. I don't have lactose intolerance, but have issues with the way cattle are treated. Plus, I worry about antibiotics and hormones being in the milk. I switched to soy milk, but then started reading about some of the possible negative effects with the estrogen-like qualities in soy, so I switched again to almond. I love almondmilk. Silk is my favorite brand.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We have gone to all almond milk after years of buying organic. Why No risk of hormones. Same nutrition and half the fat of cows milk. The kids like the original, DH and I like the unsweetend..which is only 35 cals per 8oz. We started because my grandson is allergic to milk. Not lactose inlolerant, allergic.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I use soy milk for my son because he has always been lactose intolerant. I had a hard time getting him to drink it when he was a baby, so i always bought the vanilla flavor. Now that is all he will drink. I would like to switch to something different so it isnt flavored. He will not drink regular soy, just the chocolate and vanilla. Im not sure if that is the "healthies" plus a lot of reciepes, you cant use it in. Maybe i will try the almond milk. I personally drink cow's milk and i dont know what it is about soy, but i cant stomach to swallow it. Hopefully i will like the almond too, so im not spending so much money on milk for everyone
    abbylane22

Answer by abbylane22 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I do like the almond milk as well. I can't drink cow's milk. It doesn't like me and I don't it. I haven't tried any others.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 5:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We use cows milk but also almond and rice, we like variety
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:48 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I love almond milk, but tree nuts are my number one migraine trigger. We use a combination of organic cow and animal milks, depending one the week's meal plan. Usually an enriched soy (like Westsoy plus plain) or hemp

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We cut out cow's milk years ago so we got in the habit of not having any milk at all but we do use almond milk or hemp milk occassionally. We stay away from soy and soy products.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 26, 2011