How can I get my preschooler to focus better??

Im new to this group and just trying to figure it all out. I joined because I am a single mother and sometimes have a hard time knowing what is best to do in certain situations. I have an almost 5 year old boy. He is full of energy and just has to be on the go 24/7. Its starting to become a problem, because I have noticed that he cant concentrate on alot and he has to go from one thing to another to another, with out ever finishing anything. He cant sit down to eat and entire meal, do homework or finish playing a game. I notice other mothers taking their children to movies or doing other things with them that i just cant imagine doing with him. I dont want a couch potato, but sometimes i would like to watch some of the new movies that come out or have him get interested in Disney and all that is involved. Hoping that someone may have suggestons of what i can do to get him focused and pay attention to things. Any advice or exercises that anyone can suggest. Thanks ahead.......

abbylane22

Asked by abbylane22 at 1:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I honestly believe Patience plays a big role. My daughter(almost 5 too) was all over the map but I finally realized it was because she just needed me to sit with her (during an activity) and be patient with her. I would recommend trying the memory card game because they have to sit and be focused in order to play. My daughter loves this game and it has really helped her sit still and focus more. Good luck:)
    lmthen

Answer by lmthen at 10:25 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Write down specifics and keep them in a journal. While some of this is age, some of it could be ADHD. That is the problem we are having with our son. At the age of 5, a child should be able to sit for a short while and focus on something. Start with meals. Let him know that he must sit and eat. If he does not, then take the food away. I had to do this with my son. When he realized I wasn't kidding, he would sit and eat. Also, find things he likes to do. My ds loves to draw so we always have pen/paper handy for him to draw. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Some children do have concentration problems. They have 'windows' of time that they are able to concentrate, usually about 15 minutes or less. Anything after their window of concentration time is useless, especially for learning.

Try starting with 10 minute play times with him. Take play dough, take it out, play with him for 10 mintues,use a timer, then put it away. Let him play for a hour or so and then bring out the play dough again. Use the timer. Give him 'an important' task to do with the play dough for those 10 minutes. Even if its to make a snowman , something simple. After 10 minutes whether he is done or not, stop, put it away. Repeat this during a whole day.
    The next day pick another concentration game, coloring or painting or glueing shapes together. Get him used to at the very least concentrating for those 10 minute intervals and see if you see improvement in his concentration skills after 6 months
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 5:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Keep track of his activities, when he's at his worst, when he's calmest. Then discuss with your pediatrician. If it's getting in the way of his functioning, I'd look into it a bit more. ADHD is one possibility but there are other things that can also cause similar behaviors. My son has Sensory Processing Disorder and he was also very active, had trouble focusing in school, etc. A few months of OT made a huge difference. My pediatrician pointed me to a group that could help. It is certainly true that many kids at this age are active but when it starts to get in the way, it's time to look into it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Most if not ALL 5 year old boys are spirited. Kids will focus on things that really catch their interest sometimes jumping aroud is a way of finding what interests them. Try and see which activities he seems to stay at the longest. Don't forget that 5 yr olds only have a 15-20 minute attention span. I will give you an example of our preschoolers. This weeks theme was learning about dinosaurs, so instead of painfully sitting at a table or in a circle time the teacher incorporated dinosaurs into every learning lab. She put together a dinosaur booklet in the writing center, she allowed children to paint with chicken bones and stamp dinosaurs in the art center, she set up a 3d wooden 2 ft puzzle in the gross motor area for kids to assemble and she opened the sand box and filled it dinosaurs. She also left books in every lab so children could pick them up at any given moment and look at the pictures. This is the best way to teach!
    lilachievers

Answer by lilachievers at 4:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011