Who really knows what they are talking about? My WIC worker or the doctor?

My DD has really bad gas and the runs and she strains alot, shes a 1 mth old, i took her to the doc yesterday and they told me to change her milk to GOOD START SOY PLUS (something like that) she normally drinks ENFAMIL PREMIUM INFANT. So today i had an apt with my WIC worker, i'm not sure if anyone is fimiliar with this but its something that helps pay for your baby formula and other food items for yourself, anyhow i was telling her what the doctor said and she says no that cant be right the soy stuff is somethig different were going to switch her to ENFAMIL GENTILEESE, its for helping with gas.. so now i'm wondering which one them actually know what they are talking about, i honestly already think my DD doctor sometimesa have no clue just from previous things i've asked her!!!

NEEKSEXI

Asked by NEEKSEXI at 2:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The Doctor. Good starts is a much better formula. WIC is governement agency and Enfamil has a contract with them. So of course they're going to push it.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'd guess that your WIC person would know what other moms have used in your DD's situation. It sounds like you don't trust your doctor much.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Oldermomfo 5 is right. Wic has a contract with Enfamil, she is going to push that product. I think you have to get a prescription from the doc for WiC to change the formula brand that they pay for. You could try the Gentlease and see if it works, most formula companies are pretty much the same, so all the "gentle" formulas should be the same.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• In more then one caes I've seen the difference in switching to Good Starts. Young Moms in our family would be at the end of their rope. They asked me what to do. I told them to switch. Within one day there was a change. They told me later they grumbled as their buying it what does she know. Then thanked me. I did do the research on the different formulas.When Daughter had her last baby she was exhausted and asked if they could keep they beby and feed one him one bottle, but she wanted Good Starts. The nurse looked at her and said you've done your research. Even in the Hospitals they aren't allowed to offer Good Starts, As Enfamil has a contract with them, but if the Mom asks for another formula they are to give it. So ask for the prescription.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Here Good Starts the cheap brand and Enfamil cost a lot more, in PA. Becasue thats what WIC gives out Good Start. I think thats what they told me anyway I BF so we don't use it. But I used Enfamil when I worked with my first baby, becasue she spit up so much I switched to walmarts brand and had no problems with it. I woulds get another doctor if your not happy with them or her information. Sometimes WIC is wrong to like on the height and weight charts are always off compared to my doctors, I would call and asked to speak to a different doctor you want a second opinion becasue you got clashing info.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If you look at the labels Walmart is the cheap brand of Good Starts. Same formula.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:38 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Neither, really. Docs are not well trained in infant nutrition, and WIC is hit and miss. With formula, you have to try til you find what works.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• the doctor said that i didnt need a prescription that WIC does give out good start bt the WIC lady just had adifferent opinon, anyway i used te checks n got the gentlease and used my money and bought good start ima try both and see which one better n take it from there... and yes i do have a problem with my DD daughter well its not even her doctor, because her docotr is really suppose to be the head doctor in the clinic someone that i am fimiliar with because he use to be my doctor, bt evrytime i go its always the nurse practioner
    NEEKSEXI

Comment by NEEKSEXI (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Good luck momma it's hard when they're that little and all you want them to be is well. In the mean time until you get it figured out for the gas use the colic hold. there are two versions. One is to out one hand under her chest and head so the palm of your hand is right on her stomach and the other on her butt. gently rock her back and forth. the other is to lay her across your fore arm with her head at your elbow again rock her back and forth. Farts and burps usually happen and the look you'll get. Oh that's so much better.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i live in SC and here WIC promotes Good Start. I just had my son in September and I started him on Enfamil because this is what they had in the hospital and I also gave it to my DD 5 yrs ago. From the beginning my son was constipated and gassy on the Enfamil. They say Enfamil is harder to digest. I just recently changed my sons formula to Good Start Gentle Plus. Good Start uses whey protein which is supposed to be easier to digest. My son is doing much better on this formula.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 7:49 AM on Jan. 26, 2011