Abortions... Does the father have a say?

I was just reading a question asking this and as i was answering it, i started thinking of another situation because i read someone else answer. Now i answered that no by law he doesnt have a say bt personally you should talk with him and get his opinon, then i read someone else answer and it said that by law they feel like they should have a say... Ok thats fine but take this for an example, say a female wanted to have an abortion but couldnt because now the law is the father has to have a say and just so happens the father sayd no abortion i wanna keep this baby. So now the woman is stuck carrying a baby for 9mths one that she didnt wat but had to keep becasue the father and he turns around and doesn't do anything for that child, doesn't see him, dont provide nothing at all... ok there is what child support, bt all that could have been avoided if the father didnt have to by law have his two cents!! i'm just saying

SO THE QUESTION NOW IS... DO YOU STILL FEEL BY LAW THAT THE FATHER SOULD HAVE A SAY IF THE MOTHER WANTS AN ABORTION?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think it should be mandated by law. I can see both sides, and come up with scenarios pro and con. It's just not a black & white situation.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:55 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think that in order to get such a law passed, some "stipabilities" would have to be put in place. If men are going to stand up for the right to have a say, then they are standing up to support. On a "hood" note...he had some say so in the sex, he may as well have a say so in the outcome...
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 2:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No. The thought of someone else having a descision what goes on with my body against my wishes is abhorrent to me.

If they don't want to pay child support, then they can reliquish parental rights.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes. I believe the father should have a legal say. Women can force men to have unwanted pregnancies and then go after them for child support (which relinquishing parental rights does not end...at least here) but if the man wants his child, a woman can just abort with no say so from the father? Unfair. I think most men who would stand up and say, "no, don't abort, I want this baby" would also be prepared to take that child and raise it. I definitely think the father should have rights too. (except in cases of rape, incest, or the mother's life being in danger)
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 4:10 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Glad I'm getting my tubes tied so I don't have to worry about this no freaking more. The thought of a man having the right to tell me what to do with MY body to have them possibly leave me down the road is UNTHINKABLE!!!!!!! The day this ever happened is the day the population would begin to diminish!!!!!!!!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 4:15 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• [quote] Women can force men to have unwanted pregnancies and then go after them for child support [/quote]

Pretty much 100% of adults know that sex can equal pregnancy. If a man really didn't want to get someone pregnant, then they shouldn't have sex.

No other person should have any right to force someone else to undergo a dangerous and possibly lethal meical condition.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:26 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No, the man shouldn't have a say.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:16 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't believe the man should have a say in it at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:27 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• YES the man should have a say!!! it's his child too!!!! its wrong to say that all "ownership" goes to the mother til birth. 2 people created the child!!
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• since when is pregnancy dangerous and potentially lethal????????????????? its a beautiful/natural thing in any other scenario except here huh
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 26, 2011