How Did You Choose Your Religion/Beliefs?

Were you raised with the religion/beliefs you have now, did you marry someone and convert, go on a spiritual quest?

Just curious. I was raised Methodist. By 13 I knew I didn't agree with what I was being taught. I researched and sampled several religions, didn't have any organized belief system for years, then eventually found Buddhism at 34.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 3:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised Christian, but fell away for a good 10 years of my life...I chose the Lord because He chose me...He never gave up on me:-)
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 3:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Raised Catholic, but found the bible to be lacking (actually, to be hypocritical and have so many plot holes that I am wondering how many different men wrote it)
    I felt a pull, which I attributed to Wicca.. kind of felt my way around, but, Wicca really didn't seem right either. The pull became stronger the more thought and research I put into it.
    I finally figured out that I was on my path the entire time, but, now, I could put a name to it. I am Kemetic Orthodox ... :)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:36 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was raised Christian, studied with Jehovah Witness's, bounced back and forth from church to church, and when I hit 13 I found Wicca....I have been researching ever since. I sort of follow my own tune. I've taken what feels right to me and what has worked for me. I think that's the only thing you can do when you are searching for a path of faith. As for many different men writing the bible, from my research, that's exactly what I've learned. If you look at which languages the books were translated from it makes you scratch your head.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorized_King_James_Version (I usually don't like wikipedia, but I have found more sites that fall in line with this one.) Kaelansmom I am going to have to check out Kemetic Orthodox I've never heard of it. I love researching new things. Thanks so much!
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:19 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was raised in the Lutheran faith. I raised my dd's in the same faith. You are always told that this IS
    what you are to believe even tho you can't quite feel it. When my dd's were out of the Lutheran school
    they attended, I stopped attending any church and started reading and learning about other beliefs...
    I fall under the Pagan umbrella as a Wiccan(ish) - Witch. I follow the basics of the Wiccan Religion, but
    draw from many that feels right for me and I practice the Art of the Craft...
    I am now where I know I should have been then... :)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:13 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• gmasboy - one of my dearest friends is Wiccan, we were surprised/happy at how similar Buddhism and Wicca is. It's very interesting to me, I enjoy reading about it. (And use some rituals myself). I'm glad you found your spiritual home, your response made me smile.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 7:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was rasied Lutheran. I knew from an early age, NOT FOR ME. "God" was NOT for me. It never, ever rang true in my heart. As I grew older I learned to listen to what my heart was saying, and I am not a spiritual atheist.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Raised Orthodox Christian-
    Still identify that way, but if I am being totally honest- I am more just Christian than a member of any organized church-
    I love the rituals and culture of the Greek Orthodox Church but find God speaks to me a little differently than organized religion-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:29 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I did lots of research in high school. Christianity just never felt right to me. After a few years of research and many more years of trying different religions on, I finally came to believe what I do now.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:42 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was raised in a Christian home, but encouraged to question and develop my faith in my own terms. I always had a passion for religion, and I always tried to learn as much as I could. Because doctrine and dogma wasn't really pushed in my home it was easy to consider what I really truly believe, and through years of studying and digging my faith has grown and evolved into Christian Universalism (though I really was a Universalist the whole time, since the idea of hell never sat well with me). I pull and study from all different faiths, but I accept that given my foundation in Christianity, I will always see the world through a Christian lens, however slightly tinted it may be. But I don't believe in faith as being a one moment kind of thing, like a moment of acceptance. I see it as a constant journey, a process, one that we continue to cultivate and work on our whole lives through.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was born and raised Jewish. My mom only went through the motions so I could have an idea of what the religion was about. We never kept kosher, rarely went to synagogue but she had me go to religious school, and I had a bat mitzvah. Interestingly, she enrolled me in an orthodox Jewish school for nursery school and kindergarten. I fell in love with Israel then and have been since. Throughout the years my practice came and went due to my age and exploration. I haven't always practiced Judaism but have always identified as Jewish, which is very common. Now DH and I are raising the kids as conservative Jews. We keep kosher, go to synagogue a couple of times a month, send the kids to a Jewish school.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:59 AM on Jan. 26, 2011