Co-sleeping question, not enough space. *EDIT*

I partially co-sleep which means I nurse my 1 year old to sleep and then I sneak him into the crib, then, When I get ready for bed myself, I bring him into the bed with me. I have a full sized bed and it's not as comfortable to sleep in now that my baby is bigger. I've always kept my baby between my husband and me. The bed is small but we can't afford to get a bigger one right now. It's easier for me to co-sleep because he wakes 3-4 times a night and he is still breast feeding. What are my options?

*EDIT* I like co-sleeping and I'm not planning on moving my baby into his crib and I may start fully co-sleeping. How can I extend my bed? Is it safe to sidecar a crib when they are mobile? The reason I'm asking is because I've never done it and I thought the baby mattress would have to be brought up too high. I'm afraid he'll wake up and stand up and flip himself over the side. Also, I'm not looking for nursing advice. 

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 3:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you drop the side rail on his crib and push it up against your bed?
    We have me, dh, a 4 year old and a 2 year old in a queen sized bed so I know how cramped it is. Dh usually will end up at the foot of the bed.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 5:02 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Wanted to add great job for breastfeeding your toddler :)
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 5:03 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have 3 kids..and I never got them to sleep with us, did you know that the kids can perceive noises & movements, even while sleep... I don't think is ok.. and plus you can't have plenty of intimacy, knowing that the baby is in the same bed.... Sorry for me is a no, no...

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 5:08 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'm with dmdblleb on dropping the side rail of the crib. We've let our little ones sleep with us when they were smaller, and sometimes our daughter comes in and crawls into bed when she's had a bad dream or can't sleep. I do have a question if you don't mind...do you find that it makes the bond closer between the three of you? I've talked to some parents who says it does, and I've talked to others who are dead set against letting their children in their rooms at night for any reason. I don't have an opinion on whether it's right or wrong, I feel if it's right for the individual family more power to you. (Everything I type is in MHO)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:05 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Do you work full time? I am asking because I do. My son is almost 2, and he still cosleeps with us, and he still nurses during the night. I completely understand how it is easier to have your baby in the bed with you rather than having to move him into and out of the crib multiple times per night. Warning though, your son is only going to get bigger. Right now, my son turns sideways during the night (Head by me, feet by daddy), and will literally kick daddy out of the bed. What we do is try to feed him right before bedtime, and try to really wear him out during the day. IF we do this right, he will only wake up once (which happens to be right around 3:30am daily). What we are hoping is that in the next few months we'll be able to get a toddler bed that he'll love (eg a car shaped one), so he will want to sleep there. Right now the crib is like "torture" to him.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 9:50 AM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sorry, Mommybird, but I'm going to answer some of the questions that were asked:

I don't know how the bond would be without co sleeping but I can't really say. But we are a very affectionate family. We all like to cuddle. Even our children are affectionate towards one another. If at someone else's house, they will cuddle each other for comfort at bedtime.

My dh and I have plenty of intimacy (when he is home). There are other places besides the bed to be intimate. Also, the children are quite portable. They have their own room we can put them in and have our time in our bed. It's not like we do it with them next to us.

My 2 yo dd nurses at night, A LOT. She makes up for the time I am gone at work and she can't nurse. Luckily I can sleep through the nursings. Lady, have you tried putting ds by the wall with a pillow up against him?
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sounds like you need to work towards him not nursing so much during the night....babies 6 months and older can go 7 or more hours without a feeding during sleep.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• BUMP
    MommyBird388

Comment by MommyBird388 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011